| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grieving Over Steel Guitars
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 4:08 pm    

Any one ever grieve over sell of their steel guitars?

For well over 30 years I have had a family of steel guitars. I had a 1934 Rickenbacker steel guitar from the McIntyre collection, 1940 Oahu acoustic steel, 1960 Stringmaster D8, 1950 Magnatone Lyric D8, Sierra S8, Rickenbacker Bakelite S6, Custom Made Koa Wood S8. All of them were played and not stored endlessly. I grew to love each one and the uniqueness of the sound of each one. Now that is all gone.

I did not try to sell the guitars all at once, but one by one. It was easier than I thought that it would be. All of the sales occurred in approximately 10 months.

I sold the Rickenbacker Frypan, Rickenbacker Bakelite and Custom Koa wood guitars through a personal contact in Hawaii.

The Stringmaster, Magnatone, Sierra were sold locally through one steel guitar teacher in Northern California. The Oahu guitar was sold through a local blog.

The reason for these sales occurred because I am nearing 85 yrs. My wife pleaded with me to sell them because she said that it would be too much for her to deal with the sale of them. I HEARD HER.

I did keep my Excel D8 and S8. Whew!!!

Now I need some therapeutic guidance from all of you'll !
Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 4:22 pm    

I thought You were younger me!!!!
Joe Elk Central Ohio
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 4:25 pm    

How so Joe?
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 4:48 pm    

I've been gradually selling off a lot of my instruments over the past few years. My son is a musician (better one than I've ever been), and I've made sure I'm not selling anything he wants to inherit some day. But when my dad died, he left my mom with a rather large accumulation of mostly accordions that I've been trying to help her liquidate. I didn't want to leave my son in the same predicament. I hate to let instruments go (even my dad's accordions), but you're doing the right thing.

All good instruments are "catch and release" as far as I'm concerned. You just have to hope that the new owners love them as much as you did.

Dave
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 4:53 pm    

David says, "All good instruments are "catch and release" as far as I'm concerned. You just have to hope that the new owners love them as much as you did."

That is a good point, David. I have had feedback from 4 buyers that they too love the instruments and their sound.

When you hear those words, it causes you to feel they are in the right hands. That is what I wanted and I am glad that it is coming to pass.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 5:21 pm    

We’re only caretakers of our instruments. I’m certain my collection will be loved for many, many years to come, if not by me, by someone.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 9:37 am    

I love that "caretaker" expression Rick. Never thought of it that way. I'm 83 and have been selling off some of my instruments. I've always advertised them as "looking for a new good home" made me feel better about it!!!!
Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2020 1:32 pm    

One example I like to think of...the Magnatone D8 Jules Ah See played...that lived in Benny Kalama's basement or garage until he passed it on to Alan Akaka.

Here he is playing the "Jules" guitar (with some other Hawaiian music royalty!) 60 years after Jules left us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK8II6vhQZw

Now of course none of my instruments will ever have that much mana/mojo/what-have-you as one like that, but I like to think they might carry on the music.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2020 9:21 pm    

Nic,

Your comments demonstrate that if the steel guitar has a good story to go with it, it will bring greater value to the instrument. The story can pass from one generation to the next and be appreciated.
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 9:33 am    

Don Kona Woods wrote:
Any one ever grieve over sell of their steel guitars?

For well over 30 years I have had a family of steel guitars. I had a 1934 Rickenbacker steel guitar from the McIntyre collection, 1940 Oahu acoustic steel, 1960 Stringmaster D8, 1950 Magnatone Lyric D8, Sierra S8, Rickenbacker Bakelite S6, Custom Made Koa Wood S8. All of them were played and not stored endlessly. I grew to love each one and the uniqueness of the sound of each one. Now that is all gone.

I did not try to sell the guitars all at once, but one by one. It was easier than I thought that it would be. All of the sales occurred in approximately 10 months.

I sold the Rickenbacker Frypan, Rickenbacker Bakelite and Custom Koa wood guitars through a personal contact in Hawaii.

The Stringmaster, Magnatone, Sierra were sold locally through one steel guitar teacher in Northern California. The Oahu guitar was sold through a local blog.

The reason for these sales occurred because I am nearing 85 yrs. My wife pleaded with me to sell them because she said that it would be too much for her to deal with the sale of them. I HEARD HER.

I did keep my Excel D8 and S8. Whew!!!

Now I need some therapeutic guidance from all of you'll !

Don, this post is a subject which you, I, and many others in our 80's are facing and discuss with our
wives frequently. None of my children or grandchildren will probably have space, or be interested in
keeping my steel collection.

Frequently, when my wife and I discuss the problem, she says that if I go first, she will probably
have a yard sale and sell my collection for $5.00 each as wall hangers and space decorations. Then,
she smiles sweetly, and says "I am only joking." Since we have been married 62 years, I can
understand her response and also her concerns. Since most men in my family don't live into their
90's, it is potentially a real problem in a very few years.

Thanks for the post, and maybe it will lead to a very lively discussion.

C. E. Jackson
Smile
A6 tuning for steels
Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 3:08 pm    

Dang CE. I have been looking at the YouTube of your NPS guitars and can't stop drooling. Those are beautiful.

Just bought my first Stringmaster D8, which looks a bit older than it's age. Some day, maybe, I'll have an instrument or two like that.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 3:29 pm    

I spent the 90s as a vintage guitar dealer. So I have had a lot of guitars over the last 50 years, and quite a lot of steels over the last 20. I have a very few that are really important to me. I would be bummed if they got lost, stolen, or what not. But most are just tools of the trade and I don't fret much about them. They come and go as the need arises.

As far as "grieving" goes - well, there's been enough real loss in my life the last few years, and more generally, over my life, that I don't have any time to truly grieve over the loss of something that is, essentially, just wood and metal. And look what's going on right now in the world - I'll save my grief for real tragedy.

On the idea of owner as caretakeer - I have always looked at myself as merely a steward of my serious instruments. I guess that's why I get riled up when I see people desecrate really nice guitars by pulling them apart and selling them for parts like so much fodder. Yeah, it's a free country, but I'm also free to bitch about it.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 4:30 pm    

Dave says, "As far as "grieving" goes - well, there's been enough real loss in my life the last few years, and more generally, over my life, that I don't have any time to truly grieve over the loss of something that is, essentially, just wood and metal. And look what's going on right now in the world - I'll save my grief for real tragedy."

The loss of loved ones is certainly more painful and tragic than the loss of a steel guitar. I am sorry for your loss.

But there are many wonderful memories that are associated with those steel guitars that we were attached to. Each one of 7 steel guitar which I sold had wonderful memories associated with it. Each steel guitar and the playing of it kept those memories alive in some way. When the steel guitar goes, the memories become more faded.

Fortunately, I have video recordings of playing them, which I can view. I did that just today and it was very pleasurable.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2020 4:51 pm    

C.E. Johnson says, "Don, this post is a subject which you, I, and many others in our 80's are facing and discuss with our wives frequently. None of my children or grandchildren will probably have space, or be interested in
keeping my steel collection."

To respond what C.E. is saying: I believe that it is important to get these guitars in the hands of people who want them and will play them. Our children and grandchildren do not have a vested interest in them as we did.

I believe it is a good time now to sell the vintage steel guitars. There are buyers now, but one never knows if the demand for vintage steel guitars will continue and what the market will bear.

I sold my 7 guitars at reasonable prices and did well. The easiest to sell were the Rickenbacker's (frypan and Bakelite) and the Fender Stringmaster D8. The Magnatone Lyric was the last one to sell and took a little more time.
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 5:17 am    

Don Kona Woods wrote:
C.E. Johnson says, "Don, this post is a subject which you, I, and many others in our 80's are facing and discuss with our wives frequently. None of my children or grandchildren will probably have space, or be interested in
keeping my steel collection."

To respond what C.E. is saying: I believe that it is important to get these guitars in the hands of people who want them and will play them. Our children and grandchildren do not have a vested interest in them as we did.

I believe it is a good time now to sell the vintage steel guitars. There are buyers now, but one never knows if the demand for vintage steel guitars will continue and what the market will bear.

I sold my 7 guitars at reasonable prices and did well. The easiest to sell were the Rickenbacker's (frypan and Bakelite) and the Fender Stringmaster D8. The Magnatone Lyric was the last one to sell and took a little more time.

Thanks Don, for discussing the potential problem which collectors like myself are faced with.
My collection is relatively small, compared with a collector friend who has approximately
700 steels. Hopefully others will offer their opinions also.

Again, many thanks friend,

C. E. Jackson Smile

A6 tuning for steels