| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Q's re:guitar position (first-time builder, new player)
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 11:26 am    

Hello all;

What is your "natural" position for playing your lap guitar with respect to your core? i.e.: in playing position (lap, console, standing), about which fret aligns with the center line of your torso?

Also, some lap guitars have the neck wider than the fret board, and extending alongside the fret board most or all of the way to the nut, on others the body slab is the same width as the fret board all the way to the join. Any insights as to your preference? Does it affect playing (do you ever rest your left hand on the neck inboard of the fret board).

Ditto for the higher fret positions above the join. Does it matter to you whether the higher fret positions (12 +) are clear of the body?

Thanks a heap,
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 11:50 am    

Assuming that you are talking about a lap steel guitar played with a tone bar and not a (bottleneck) hollow slide:

1. The strings should not overlap the fretboard, and the neck should be wider than the fret board and much thicker than a standard guitar. We don't really need the strings to taper closer together at the nut, and the string height should be 1/4" or more. (Very high action)

2. The body does not need to have cutaways for higher fret access, since the tone bar is held down on the strings from above. Higher fret positions do not need to be clear of the body.

3. The center of the torso should normally be above the 12th fret to allow the left hand to reach all the frets without running into the players "beer belly"

Pac NW
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 12:17 pm    

I recommend getting a z stand like this and experimenting with height/lateral placement. Important to get one that doesn't impede leg movement and foot placement too much, like those x-braced ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Knox-Z-Style-Piano-Adjustable-Keyboard-Stand/361409990445
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 1:24 pm    

First of all I am glad to see another guy interested in learning some new skills.

When I make a lap steel, I like to keep them in the 28.5" to 30" length range. I make the neck 2.5" wide and the fretboard 2" wide unless I put a taper on it. This will be determined by string width at the bridge and also the number of strings, like Dom posted.
The last one I built strings were .450 apart which wound up to be 2.25 wide. I tapered my fretboard to accommodate the wide spacing and the nut spacing was .350. Each side of the fretboard has approx. a 1/2 degree of taper. I like to have a little reveal of the neck showing. i have a stand, but never use it. I feel like it isolates the steel from the player. I think they should be one and having it on my lap just feels right.

I end my body at the 12th fret. It is a double visual. You have the dot makers, plus you immediately see the end of the neck, beginning of the body.

When I play the 13th fret lines up with the center of my body......that is where it feels right for me. I am sure this will vary from person to person.

Good luck with your new adventure JB. I am not an expert by any means, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

If you look at the picture, the aluminum one is about an inch longer due to the fact I cut the excess off the bottom of the wood ones. I thought visually it looked nicer having the bridge as close to the end of the guitar as possible. A shorter guitar resulted, which for me was another plus. BTW when I gave you dimensions above that was for a 22.5" scale guitar.........

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 8:51 am    

Thanks for replies all;

At this point, my biggest problem is this: every time I see somebody's lap guitar, my concept of the build changes. But I'm having fun.

One big issue though: I'd like to have the tuning machines on the right end, behind the bridge. I'm working out the machine geometry and hardware now.

The Q: Will the tuning machines in that position affect the "acoustics" or sound at the PUP? Assuming a simple shop-built bridge (i.e.: a round metal bar mortised into a wooden bridge plate), and 5-7 deg angle for the "peg head".
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 8:58 am    

JB Bobbitt wrote:
Thanks for replies all;

At this point, my biggest problem is this: every time I see somebody's lap guitar, my concept of the build changes. But I'm having fun.

One big issue though: I'd like to have the tuning machines on the right end, behind the bridge. I'm working out the machine geometry and hardware now.

The Q: Will the tuning machines in that position affect the "acoustics" or sound at the PUP? Assuming a simple shop-built bridge (i.e.: a round metal bar mortised into a wooden bridge plate), and 5-7 deg angle for the "peg head".

Is this your first build? If so, that sounds pretty ambitious to stray away from the norm. (and certainly don't take this the wrong way) You know, don't re-invent the wheel kind of thing, unless I'm reading your post wrong? Don't get me wrong, I like different and experimenting.

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 9:43 am    

I prefer to play with the instrument on my lap rather than on a stand. With my right hand flat on the strings the heel just touches the bridge. My elbow doesn’t move away from my body.

I’ve never thought about the position, but that’s where several instruments land when I start playing.

Tuners behind the bridge should be easy enough to do but will probably affect tone. Everything will affect tone. Try it and see. I think I would find tuning awkward, but would be willing to try.

You might want to do a simple board with at least tuners and strings to check out the ergonomics.

Good luck!

Fred
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 10:52 am    

Is this your first build? If so, that sounds pretty ambitious to stray away from the norm. (and certainly don't take this the wrong way) You know, don't re-invent the wheel kind of thing, unless I'm reading your post wrong? Don't get me wrong, I like different and experimenting.[/quote]

First lap guitar build, yes. But I'm an accomplished woodworker. And I'm having fun researching the build, from PUPs to nuts.

I've lost sensitivity and strength in my left hand. I can't fret anymore, but I can hold a steel (I drop it often so I wear an apron) and can play well enough on my acoustic reso to be encouraged. But tuning with my left hand is tedious and annoying, hence the thought to move machines to the right side.

Thx again for your help.
Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 10:59 am    

I might steal the tuners behind the bridge idea, maybe with fancy Steinberger tuners. I have real mobility issues with my left hand, I already tune with my right hand, just extremely awkwardly.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2020 11:31 am    

Ah, now it makes more sense to me. Thanks for the clarification. maybe this will give you some ideas???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQszFzFIYU

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2020 7:56 am    

Brian Evans wrote:
maybe with fancy Steinberger tuners.

I've looked at those Steinberger machines as well. But I'm trying to avoid having to reach under or behind (maybe even across) the peg head to tune.

So I'm experimenting with unconventional geometries with conventional tuners.

I'll keep you all posted.
Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 7:44 am    

The thing about the Steinbergers for me is that I could tune with my right hand behind the bridge, easy peasy. Another thought was a Fender style 6 on a side but with a slotted headstock so the tuner buttons stood straight up, or even on an angle. Once you dump tradition, possibilities explode!
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 8:30 am    

if this is your first build, i recommend that you do a mock up out of cheap wood first and then refine your design and then use the better wood for your finished guitar. i do that first and it has saved me from wasting good instrument grade wood. best to you in your build!
JB Bobbitt

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 8:10 am    

Bill Hatcher wrote:
if this is your first build, i recommend that you do a mock up out of cheap wood first and then refine your design and then use the better wood for your finished guitar. i do that first and it has saved me from wasting good instrument grade wood. best to you in your build!

I have a mantra: "Measure twice, cut once, get a new board, measure 3 times .... "

The woodworking part for the body is well in hand. I will make and test a prototype or mock-up for the bridge-tuner assembly with a tubafor and real machines. My top concerns are to get proper downward string force on the bridge, and ergonomics during tuning and playing.

This is likely to be a one-off, and aesthetics are a goal. My current plan is to use a stable hardwood plank (maple, alder, mahogany?) for body and neck, with premium "AAAAA" micro-lumber fret board, top and bottom. Kind of like a Zamaitis does with hammered metal:

I haven't decided on body shape yet, but it'll probably be more rectilinear than round.
David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 10:14 am    

If you plan to use finger/thumb picks, Steinberger tuners can be a real pain in the butt. I once borrowed a friend's 6 string Steinberger for some bottleneck and my pics were always in the way of tuning.
One of the things I love about building my own steels is the freedom to imagine and visualize the final outcome. Good luck and keep having fun with it.