| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buying a used pedal steel
Lane Sandstrom

North Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 3:53 pm    

I've been playing a regular guitar for 30 plus years and, have always figured that because on the eighth day God made the pedal steel, I should learn how to play one. My question is: are the old MSA's and Sho Bud D10's, worth considering if a guy does't want to spend thousands? They're a lot less money than the new pro models and not that much more than the cheaper made starter pedal steels. Thanks.
Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 4:12 pm    

Lane, I picked up a SHO-BUD PRO I for $1275.
This guitar is in excellent cond. Wish I could play it. (3 X 4 w/ George L pick up).
But , my Carter Starter is so much fun to play and doesn't weigh anything like the S-B.
Have the cash and get busy lookin'. There are good deals everywhere.
I recommend the Carter Starter. Great guitar and a wise first choice.
Good Luck - RG
Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 4:19 pm    

Sho-Buds are great guitars but in my experience they tend to be a bit user un-friendly: my last two gave me grief in terms of the pedals and levers not returning in precise tune after being used. Their design has been vastly improved upon. They are also heavy. Bear in mind that all recently manufactured steels are really well made. I have a Zum and Mullen, both of which are mechanically superb.Zums tend to be pricey. A friend has a Carter which tend to be lighter in weight and price.
I'd go with a Mullen or Carter.
You also have to ponder a single 10 if you are going to stay with E-9 tuning only for a while, or a D-10 for E-9 and C6 tunings, or an S-12 Universal, which I have no experience with.
I hope that helps.
-Jim

------------------
Mullen D-10 -or- Zum D-10
Lexicon MPX 100 -or- RV3
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Holy Grail reverb
Peavey Nashville 1000 -or- 112
Vox wah-wah pedal

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 4:19 pm    

I can't speak for Sho Bud, but the maple body- lacquer finish MSAs that they made starting around '76 or'77 are wonderful guitars. The earlier dieboard and formica ones aren't bad, but when they went to the solid maple bodies, the overall quality jumped 1000% IMHO.

I am buying a millennium, but I intend to hang on to my maple guitar too. It's just too good an instrument to let go.

------------------
My web site

[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 08 April 2006 at 07:44 PM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 5:04 pm    

When I buy a used pedal steel from an individual I sometimes add on about $300/$500 to have it set up and fixed up by the original builder or somebody else that knows what they are doing. I have rebuilt a few myself at this point also. The best way to avoid that expense and trouble if you are just starting out is to buy from a used dealer. I have had very good luck with Jim Palenscar lately. They may cost a bit more than straight off the net but if something goes wrong you have someone to back you up.

------------------
Bob
upcoming gigs
My Website

Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 5:38 pm    

Jim,
You were RIGHT ON about All your comments. My SHO-BUD is particular when I transport but my Carter STAYS TRUE.

RG
Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 6:00 pm    

Lane,last summer I bought a '74 MSA D-10 Classic at a steel show from my new friend,Billy Carr,for what I thought was a very reasonable price.It didn't need anything but a new owner.I'm very satisfied with it;it stays in tune and plays and sounds great.It is very heavy because it is well built.The only thing wrong with it is that Mr.Carr didn't leave any hot licks and runs with it;so I've got to figure them out for myself!
Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 6:35 pm    

Email Me I have several good used MSA d-10s,both Mica and Lacquer bodys.

------------------
Daniel J. Cormier Whatever D-10 I happen to have at the moment.
EVans FET 500 LV ,ProFex II
http://www.cajunsteelguitar.com email at djcormier@cox-internet.com

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 7:15 pm    

Lane used guitars can be alot cheaper but also they can have problems that will demand attention, I have a used sho-bud I love the tone but I hate tuning it up after about 4hrs, (I got a new carter) it sounds like you sat behind a steel already so I would only encourage if you buy a used steel to physically see it first I would not buy a used steel sight unseen good luck and have fun at it! IMHO
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 7:33 pm    

Call Bobbie Seymour For Price On A GFI You'll Be Glad You Did. (615-822- 5555). SONNY.

------------------
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2006 8:56 pm    

GFIs are great steel guitars, so if you're looking for a good steel, try a GFI. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2006 3:36 am    

of course everyone has been offering up some fine advice, and valid.

Me, I would just state, do not get LESS Steel than you could with something like a Carter Starter, which offers the opportunity to GROW into the Steel rather than past it.

I would seek configuration first, before even a brand name. As each of the brands mentioned are very good..and should offer good service and quality.

An E 9th Steel should obviously have 3 pedals, A,B and C.

Then the addition of two Knee levers that Raise the E's to F and lower the E's to Eb..

Commonly they are found on the left knee.

Then add another Knee lever to lower the 2nd string, at least a 1/2 tone.

If you are seeking the sound that is dominant on records today such as Alan Jackson etc..you will need anaother knee lever to raise the 1st string a whole tone. Thank you Paul Franklin.

The configuration of an older used Steel is first and foremost..MSA's Sho-Buds etc..they are all fine..but they will not be worth a hoot if they are limited to less than a student guitar's configuration. OR has homemade parts on it which may or may not be quite right..

Ask the questions about..

configuration..

Factory parts...

remember, if you ask the right question you hopefully will get the right answer..

good luck..
t

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

Pat Carlson

Sutton, Nebraska, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2006 12:39 pm    

Lane,I started with an old Sho~Bud that had many miles on it.It was kind of like trying to teach a kid to drive in a 73 Lincoln with bad shocks,tires and steering sector!
The Sho~ Buds are a collectors item
like a 56 crown victoria.The MSA's are well built and may not be as much of a collectors item.
I would as it has been suggested get a newer pro model with a minimum of 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.These will hold there value quite well. The High plains is Mullen Country.Could not ask for better folks to deal with than Dell Mullen and company!The Williams guitar from Minnesota would also be a good choice
Both of these offer great support.

------------------
The Lone Prairie Steeler Pat

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2006 1:27 pm    

A used steel is a good way to save a thou or two, provided you know the reputation of the person you're buying it from. Look at the used guitars for sale on the Forum. Most all can be trusted, just from reading the comments after the initial ad is posted. Such stuff as "I know this steel, it's great," "You can trust this guy, " etc., would make it more encouraging to buy a guitar. But if it's possible, try the guitar first, or have a knowledgable friend take a look at it for you.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2006 4:17 pm    

Thanks Andy, the older MSA's are built to last. The licks and runs melted away when the a/c went out, Ha! Lane, if you don't find what your looking for with Danny Cormier, then email me and I may have something your looking for. Thanks. I pay shipping on all of my stuff and guitars are ready to play when you take them out of the case. Thanks.
Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2006 5:13 pm    

Lane, I picked up a MSA D10 8/2 right here on the Forum, It is a late 70's model and a keeper. Every one has their favorites, as you can tell, but the over all advice comes down to the same thing, Shop around, ask questions, What ever you decide S10 or D10, as the fellows have sead, better to buy a little more than you presently need then wish you would had more than you got. As I think Tony mentioned A nice S10 3/4 set up on E9th will give you a lot of music, and hours of enjoyment. PS's are like realestate the price seem's to go up.

Wayne
MSA D10 8/2