| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Low Profile or High Profile Volume Pedal?
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 8:24 pm    

Whats the difference between a low profile and a high profile volume pedal?

Thanks
K

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 8:11 am    

The low profile sits lower to accommodate boots or, in my case, a steel with a larger rear apron. I've come to prefer a low profile pedal over time. The only big con is that the sweep is shorter and they aren't all equal. I was using a Hilton Low and recently switched to a Goodrich Omni Low. I much prefer the longer sweep of the Omni Low (and the pot). What pedal are you using now?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 8:16 am    

Kristen,
I've always preferred a low profile pedal.
I just like the angle of the dangle! Very Happy
Erv
Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 6:28 pm    

Being a shorter guy with a 30" inseam, I find the high profile puts my knee up higher which helps me engage the knee levers. As mentioned, it also matters if you wear high heel cowboy boots or mostly flat soled shoes; the former is more suited to a low-profile pedal and the latter with the high-profile.

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 7:15 pm    

I have been building and selling volume pedals for over 22 years. There are 2 things people never consider.
#1 What does the location of the hing point do to the action of the pedal?
The further the hinge point is to the rear, the faster the action will seem. Notice I said, "will seem". Take two pedals that move up and down the same in the front. The one with the hinge point further back will seem like the action is faster. Sometimes a seemingly faster action is not good.
#2 You can change the taper of a volume pedal by changing the volume level set on your amplifier. If you don't believe me do this math. If your amp volume knob is set on 8, you get a lot more volume quicker compared to a volume knob set on 2. If you don't understand the math of taper, here is another way to think of taper and the volume setting on your amp.
Push the pedal down half way, and with the volume set on 8 you get half of 8 or 4. But, a pedal half way down, with a amp volume set on 2 you get 1. Same movement--half way down--but big difference in volume. Taper is about volume in relation to movement. If you want to change the taper of your pedal, simply change the volume level of your amplifier.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 8:42 pm    

I have been using a Keith Hilton low profile VP for quite a while. I bought a standard (high) profile Goodrich Omni and could did not like the difference. I replaced it with a low profile Omni and like it much better than the standard profile. No surprise, Keith explained what seems to be the main difference for me in point #1 in his posting, above. Maybe another way to look at it is that I notice the onset of sound much sooner using the low profile pedal with its hinge mounted farther back. There seemed to be a delay before the onset of volume when using standard profile pedals. I also find that volume reaches maximum sooner with the low profile pedal. I felt I had to press the foot pedal much farther with the standard pedal to achieve full desired volume. It seems that is also a result of the hinge being mounted farther back on the low profile VP. This is my personal preference. Many players prefer it the other way around. It's whatever works better for you.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2020 6:03 am    

To me it’s all about getting comfortable & properly positioned under your guitar. If your knee is all choked up on the levers or in up the works of the guitar try a low profile pedal, lengthen the back legs or put a lift kit on the guitar. If it’s the opposite try a high profile pedal or lower the guitar. You also have to mix in how your arms fit on top of the guitar. I can usually tell pretty quick which needs to be done when I sit at a guitar & try to play.
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2020 8:09 pm    

I have a Dunlop GCB-80 High Gain that I used with my (six string electric) guitar. I also got a AMT mini pedal They work but I am not happy.

I would use the little AMT years ago because it was convenient to pack and carry with a lap steel. Or put on a pedal board. I don't think the volume sweep is smooth at all.

I currently use the Dunlop pedal with a Freeloader to keep my tone. But I am not sure my ankle likes it much. I don't think the volume swell is so smooth. I haven't tried a low profile pedal so I can't compare.

I am 5'7" and wear a low (1 to 1/2 inch) heel. In fact I have one certain pair of shoes I always wear when I play.

K

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-GCB80-High-Gain-Pedal/dp/B0002F4V5S

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amt-electronics-little-loud-mouth-volume-pedal

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2020 8:10 pm    

Kristen,
Any volume pedal designed to be used seated either high or low profile will be loads better than a Dunlop when it comes to the throw.
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 9:11 am    

I am back again.
Still haven't changed volume pedals.
I am still using the Dunlop GCB80 High Gain Volume Pedal.
I am still wanting a steel guitar volume pedal which doesn't squash my tone. The arguments for high profile vs low profile were blowing my mind.
So I would like to narrow it down.
I am 5'7". 1.5 inch heel on my "pedal steel shoes"
Normal leg length. Definitely not "long".
I am perfectly happy with the arc length from toe-up to tow-down on the Dunlop.(about 1.5 inches.)
I have attached pics showing the toedown to toe up length and also a picture showing the length of pedal from end to pivot point.
Hopefully this can help point me in the right direction to identify a proper volume pedal.

"arc length"

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 11:59 am    

If you’re short (5’-8” or less ) you may be able to get away with using a high-profile pedal. Those who are taller may find that a high-profile may cause their right knee to be too high, and hit parts of the guitar. High-profile pedals are also bigger and heavier, something to be considered when you have to schlep them around for decades.
Ivan Funk

Hamburg Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2023 8:04 pm    

One solution to the tone squash - and maybe you already do this - I run the amp wide open or near to wide open, and only use the first 1/4 of pedal travel. At 1/4 to half pedal travel is my loudest volume. I mostly play between zero and 1/4. The rest of the pedal travel is for sustain. Also I place my foot back so my toes are about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the pedal with my heel on the floor at lower volume. Kind of squeeze out sustain with my toes vs rocking on my ankle.
I think it's easier on a Goodrich or any "made for pedal steel" volume pedal because they move easier smother / less stiff than the Dunlop but will stay where ever you put it if adjusted right.
My recommendation is the standard Goodrich High profile. It should be about the same height as your Dunlop.