| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy Detamore
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 5:48 pm    

Tommy is the greatest guy and one of my favorite Texas players ! What a genuine and humble human being! I think if my memory serves me right , he got inducted into the THOF this past year at the show in Dallas, and there’s not a more deserving person and player ! I got the pleasure of hearing him with the Great and I mean GREAT Jake Hooker and the Outsiders this past weekend. I tested out my new Shure MV88 Mic, while filming them and I was right in Tommy’s “Hot Zone”. Below is a link to my YouTube channel where I filmed about 30 or so videos of there two sets in Canton Texas ! Tommy if ya see this, thanks for taking the time to talk and be so kind to a young man ! Enjoy Guys and i do apologize for some of the shaky camera work from time to time, there was a lot going on....

https://youtu.be/SY8idd1If-s
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 5:49 pm    

Also I’ll say Tommy’s Emmons PP, had one of the greatest live Tones I have ever heard. That quilter Steelaire and eminence speaker really complimented his playing !
Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 6:20 pm    

Man, you gotta love Texas...twin fiddles, a steel and no guitar!

Tommy is an amazing player. I have a number of CDs where he just wrecks the house (that's a compliment). There's a couple of recent Dallas Wayne CDs, Doug Sahm "The Return Of Wayne Douglas", and a recent Jim Lauderdale CD "This Changes Everything". If you want to hear how to play steel guitar get a hold of those albums. Oh, and Tommy produced and recorded those CDs in his studio.

Joe
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 7:25 pm    

Tommy is truly an amazing player. His playing on Doug Sham's CD is outta this world. J.R.

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 7:48 pm    

Tommy is one of the best players, producers, engineers, and all around music professionals in the world. A very modest man, but his abilities and accomplishments speak for themselves. He is well deserving of all the praise he gets here.

RC
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 9:05 pm    

I agree with all above...what was the title of that Doug Sahm Album!? I am sure I have heard it but never know 😊
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 9:06 pm    

Oops , Sorry Joe , I didn’t see your comment ! You answered that for me !
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 9:11 pm    

For some of you that may not be familiar, if you click on my page on YouTube “CDF” , go to uploads, and there’s about 30 videos of Jake and Tommy.
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 5:54 am    

Just a couple of fun facts. It is my understanding that Emmons is Ole Rosie that once belonged to Bobby Flores & is the one that Dickie Overby played in Jakes band. Also there are no fretted instrument in the band except Jess Meadors Johnny Gimble style mandolin which he plays occasionally.
Cameron Fulp

Lindale Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 8:50 am    

Danny , that is correct. I did overhear them saying that that was Dickies steel . Jess was a monster on that mandolin !
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 11:30 am    

Tommy is just all around great,,,great picker,,great person!!!!
Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 12:41 pm     I'll say that Tommy is a great guy and world class musician

Gonna get to see him with Jake Hooker this early summer in Wichita Falls with Tommy playing steel. Love their music
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2020 10:23 pm     Re: Tommy Detamore

Cameron Fulp wrote:
Tommy is the greatest guy and one of my favorite Texas players ! What a genuine and humble human being! I think if my memory serves me right , he got inducted into the THOF this past year at the show in Dallas, and there’s not a more deserving person and player !

https://youtu.be/SY8idd1If-s

All of the above! Tommy has my vote too!
Dave Burr

League City, TX
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2020 4:20 pm    

Those that don't love Tommy have never met him. Last time I saw him, he was playing with Jim Lauderdale at the Mucky Duck in Houston. Super small venue. Incredible listening room. Tommy slayed!!!

db
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2020 8:42 pm    

Tommy is not only a great player but is salt of the earth and darn fine human being. Also Joe Goldmark is another one of my fav players. I’ll be moving to Antioch Ca soon would like to finally meet up with ya Joe. Best wishes Slim

Texas
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2020 3:29 pm    

Hey Tommy...We're so looking forward to you, Jake, & the Outsiders in Anson this Saturday PM!!
Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2020 10:00 am    

Tommy played on and recorded the upcoming Jesse Daniel record. As Jesse's road player, I've really enjoyed reverse-engineering Tommy's playing on the record--it's absolutely helped me to grow as a player. My few interactions with Tommy have always been very warm and friendly.

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2020 4:44 pm    

Cameron, If you have not found that CD yet it is titled, Doug Sham, "The Return of Wayne Douglas". Some great steel playing by Tommy Detamore and Fiddle playing by Bobby Flores. Looks like this was made in 2007 but I brought mind off e-bay in 2013. It is a super good CD. Granted, Doug was not everyone's cup of tea but I have all ways like him and is pickers, he could get the best's. If you can not
find send me a PM and maybe I can help, J.R.

League City, TX
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 4:38 am    

"The Return of Wayne Douglas" is one of my favorites!

https://www.amazon.com/Return-Wayne-Douglas-Doug-Sahm/dp/B003PY8MLM/ref=sr_1_36?keywords=doug+sahm&qid=1583757340&sr=8-36
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2020 4:42 am    

Man, you guys are too kind with all of this talk! Not sure I am worthy, but thanks so very much.

Cameron, it was so great to see you! Hope being in the "Hot Zone" didn't warp your hearing Razz Gimme a call sometime bud!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com