| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Fretboard Placement Question
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 12:09 pm    

Hello,

I have two Sho-Buds, one has the fretboards flush against the nut and the other has it slightly back.

Not a big deal really, but I was just curious which was the "correct" placement.

Last edited by Joseph Carlson on 13 Mar 2020 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 1:30 pm    

The Sho~bud is a 24 inch scale. So the 12th fret has to be exactly 12" from top/center of rollers or fingers. Where that zero end butts up or not does not matter of the placement....the placement HAS to be what I said...the butt up or not is simple the person who cut it; was drunk or not..ha...
But if you are still finding having to play in front or behind certain frets if indeed the fretboard 12th fret is perfect half distance....then we have to talk about few more possibilities; NOT placement.
Ricky
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 3:41 pm    

Hi Ricky,

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

When I place my bar at the 12th fret dead-center the pitch on the key head side of the bar is slightly flat of the note on the bridge side. To get a perfect unison note I need to place my bar slightly behind the 12th fret.

I'm thinking that is a good indication that the fretboard placement might be off?

I just wanted to make sure that was the case before I did anything drastic like replacing the fretboards.

Thanks!
Joe
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 5:36 pm    

Yup, what Ricky said. Always use the 12th fret/center-of-string method. And use a right angle (or one eye directly over the 12th fret) for most accurate placement. If you're careful, you could just move the ones you have on there, and then "pretty it up" with a shim and some paint. Smile
Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 6:05 pm    

Measure them both and see if they’re both correct or only one is or both are off. Only way to know for sure is to measure them.
Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 6:08 pm    

Measure them both and see if they’re both correct or only one is or both are off
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 3:33 am    

As Ricky alludes, there could more involved. Incorrectly printed boards are a known issue. 1st thing is positioning the 12th fret properly. Then checking that the harmonic nodes line up at 5 & 7, 17 & 19.

I recently replaced a board (not Sho-Bud) that simply was not right. The owner insisted on using this board and it was not way, way out of whack but it was never going to intone correctly. 12 -- on up was fine but the closer to the nut you got, the more off it was. This means incorrect design/printing.

I have read here on the forum of one after-market Bud board purveyor from the past whose boards were not correct.