| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  T8 Bigsby tuning ?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 8:28 am    

what do I have here tuning wise ? can you tell from the pictures?

I don’t know anything about 8 string tunings , so any help is appreciated

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 9:06 am    

Based on where the pedals hook to the changer, and looking at my own Bigsby, it seems to me like the center neck is a 9th type tuning, and the rear neck is a 6th type tuning.

But as a last resort, you could strum the strings and push the pedals and see what strings move and what changes result. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 9:33 am    

thanks Herb, I did strum the guitar, but nothing made any sense, not sure if guitar is out of tune... and changes are not what I’m really familiar with ... I’ll set it up one day, and spend some more time with it, and try to figure it out... I was just trying to get an advice on a good starting point ...

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 9:54 am    

Fair enough, Damir. Let me make a suggestion to start.

My T-8 is set up similar to yours, only with 6 pedals, non-pedal top neck and 3 pedals each on center and rear necks.

Non-pedal top neck Leon McAuliffe E13; lo-hi E G# D F# G# B C# E.

Center neck is tuned to D9, lo-hi A C D E F# A D F#, with standard pedals ABC on S.1-4 and s.8. On your guitar, I'd just set it up with pedals A and B.

Rear neck is tuned to C6, lo-hi A C E G A C E D, with standard pedals 5-7. You could also put a high G on s.1 in place of the D.

It appears as though you have lowering fingers on s.5 and s.6 that tuning's changer, and raise fingers on s.2-s.3, and raise fingers on s.6-s.7, which leads me to believe that guitar had a standard 6th tuning on it.

OR...

I've been thinking about a C6 tuning that could also be called an FM9 (F major 9)... lo-hi F A C E G A C E. Again, with standard pedals 5-7. But you'd have to move fingers around on your changer to accomplish this. So, disregard this suggestion. Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 10:11 am    

Yes do what Herb said; as there is nobody alive now, that would know the best way to tune/set up a Bigsby.
Ricky
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 10:19 am    

Ricky Davis wrote:
Yes do what Herb said; as there is nobody alive now, that would know the best way to tune/set up a Bigsby.
Ricky

Ricky, I believe Todd Clinesmith could do a good job setting up that guitar. Also Mike Cass, who's in Dickson TN, could do it as he's got experience with Bigsbys as well.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 10:37 am    

thank you so much Herb, I should have asked this sooner... this will help me a lot ... thank you Very Happy

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 4:33 pm    

There are a bunch of people that could help you with this, though I think Herb has put you on the right track. If you haven’t already, join my Facebook group “West coast steel guitars of the mid century”. There are a bunch of Bigsby players, owners and enthusiasts on there that know just about everything there is to know about Bigsbys. I play a triple that I set up myself. It’s a very simple machine. PM me if you want to chat - I can quickly tell you the best tunings to put on the guitar to sell it. It’s basically there already, judging from the pics. Sweet guitar!

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 8:02 pm    

Well I wasn't speaking of the actual physical set up work...I was saying the: "Correct; best; eventual SET UP";
Herb Steiner would know.
Ricky
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 4:39 am    

I decided to trade this beauty for something I’m more familiar with , it needs to be played instead of sitting in the case anyway ...