| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning C pedal on a Delkey 3+4
Dan Lynch

Lima, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 1:50 pm    

I have been helping a friend setup up a Delkey that he recently purchased. He was having problems with his C pedal rod always falling out. I adjusted the height on that and it seemed ok. We then began tuning and we got to the C pedal. String 4 tuned up ok. String 5 has been a problem. It's weird when we press pedal c the roller for string 5 actually goes backward lowering the pitch. String 4 is moving away making pitch higher. The changer parts seem to be doing similar behavior. I am stumped by this. I believe this is a push-pull because it has the nylon nuts on the changer. I have never come across an all pull, so I have no idea what else is different.

On my Carter and ETS C pedal works 4&5 the same way, the roolers move "away" for higher pitch.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Dan
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 3:21 pm    

All Dekleys are "all pull" as far as I know. ("Delkey"?)

Any chance the the pull rod is mistakenly attached to the "lower" finger rather than the "raise" finger.

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 4:12 pm    

Thats an all pull guitar, and if everything is installed correctly, nothing attached to a pedal or knee lever has any business moving toward the rear of the guitar.

wow,, something is pretty messed up.. Where in NY are you?.. I have had a a couple of Dekleys and have done a lot of work on them, and would be happy to look at it, no charge...

Its a very simple, robust, and extremely reliable pull system.. What you are describing sounds pretty strange..

As Howard has mentioned, is it possible the pull rod is in the lower set on the changer?... Looking at the back of the guitar, at the nylon tuners, the two tuning nuts for the C pedal on strings 4 and 5 should both be in one of the UPPER 2 sets of holes.. If they are in the raise holes, and the changer finger moves in a way to LOWER the string, there is something in the changer thats jammed up or locked, and its pulling the lower finger, seen it a bunch of times.. Most common thing would be a broken string ball end locking the raise and lower together... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Dan Lynch

Lima, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 4:44 pm    

It is on the lower row. That’s probably it . Thanks all. Bob I am up the street from you. 96n to 5&20 west to Lima Honeoye Falls are. The steel belongs to Max Flansburg, he plays in Dirty Blanket. Bluegrass. You might catch them in Ithaca.

I had trouble with string 5 when I first started helping him with before Christmas. At that point I attrib’ed to loose hex screw. Did not have one with me and I just got back to it. I think I took the 5 rod out to look at it initially. I prob put it back in wrong position. I’ll let you know. Thanks all!!
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 5:47 pm    

Well, Ithaca is close, and I would be happy to give it a quick look no charge if its just a quick tweak,,

First things first.. Put the rod in one of the upper holes, and let us know what happens. Bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Dan Lynch

Lima, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 1:35 pm    

Put the rod in upper hole and It tuned to C#. However the quickconnect connector broke. It is a 180 deg straight on and the scooped out area for the ball cracked. Crying or Very sad Anyone have a 180 degree quick connect for a Dekley?

Thanks

Dan