| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lindley's B tuning
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 1:59 pm    

Went and saw David Lindley again last weekend. Excellent as usual. After the show I asked him what he was using on a flat top Yamaha he had set up to play slide on. He said it was tuned to open B with a .070 on the bottom. When asked about the B, he gave me his open C tuning (CGGGCE Low to high) and said to just lower that. Would that be BF#F#F#BD#? He also plays "Mercury Blues" in open F. He gets such full, meaty chords, I just had to ask. Thanks.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2002 4:01 pm    

When I auditioned on standard guitar for his band "El Rayo X" back around 1980,I checked out his tunings and it seems like he just had an E chord form in various keys on several lap steels.He played Mercury Blues on a D-8 Supro on legs with only 6 strings strung up on each neck - thru a Howard Dumble tube amp.He had an F chord tuning on one neck w/the nut moved out to about the 3rd or maybe 5th fret serving as a sort of capo - I guess so he could use heavy strings and still get it up to F.
BTW,Bernie Larson ended up in that chair because I didn't have enough background in Reggae music at the time.I haven't seen David in a while but I see Jorge Calderon all the time as we played in a few country bands together before and after "El Rayo X". -MJ-
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 8:07 am    

I don't understand the repeated G's (or F#'s) in these tunings. I imagine the 3rd and 5th strings are octaves? What about the 4th string?

What is the advantage of having 3 fifths in a row?
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 8:20 am    

I think it probably should read:
C G C G C E

That's a "fairly" standard open C tuning, which Mr Dave has used before on Weissenborns.
Also used sometimes on standard guitar by fingerpickers - Leo Kottke and Richard Thompson come to mind...
Nick
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 8:42 am    

I think that's right. Okay then, how do you lower it to "B"? I guess what I'm asking is what's the formula to raise (E to F) or lower (C to B) open chords? Thanks.
Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 1:31 pm    

yeah, that open c tuning makes more sense. Lowering to B would just bring everything down 1/2 step....I think:

C G C G C E

each down 1/2 step:
B F# B F# B D#

Kinda like a modified guitar (low bass) open G form of tuning, with the 5ths and roots reversed.

[This message was edited by Chris Walke on 22 February 2002 at 01:33 PM.]

Wyn Walke

VA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2002 9:25 pm    

Yes, Nick & Chris got it right. He used that tuning on "Bon Ton Roulie"(sp?) and "Leave Home Girl" on one of his live CD's.