| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  in-line strobe
Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 6:40 am    

need to know the best way to run my strobe tuner off my steel ...I have the bracket...need while playing live...thanks tom
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 8:34 am    

Not infrequently tuners in line can cause some distortion in the signal and it is recommended that you connect them from a tuner out in your volume pedal that semi-isolates them from the rest of the chain. See the post at the start of the Electronics section by Randy Beavers if your current volume pedal doesn't have this option.
Tom Hodgin

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 9:28 am     in line tuner

thanks Jim
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 9:37 am    

Another option if you don't have a Tuner out and are not handy with electronic repairs and mods. is to use a splitter 1/4" male to 2 1/4" female at the guitar quick and cheep.

Good luck
Barry

greensboro, n.c. u.s.a.
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 11:53 am     tuner

thanks for the hints guys....one other option is to tune just before show time and during a break....lol
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 2:47 pm    

Barry Coker wrote:
Another option if you don't have a Tuner out and are not handy with electronic repairs and mods. is to use a splitter 1/4" male to 2 1/4" female at the guitar quick and cheep.

Good luck
Barry

There could be issues with that.

Previous Discussion--->Click Here

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 4:40 pm    

With all due respect Lee I have been using this simple setup off and on for several years. The T plugs into the guitar one side goes to Black Box or pedal what ever I am using. The other goes to my Peterson strobe (VS-2, strobe flip, or present HD strobe) all of which sound fine no distortion no degradation or change of tone in any way. My Goodrich pedal have had the resistor installed for a tuner out but I have a vintage Sho Bud that only has 2 plugs and without major mods can not have a third added. I also have a Goodrich Active pedal that has a tuner out and sounds No Better than the simple Y connector.

Barry

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2019 7:35 pm    

Barry Coker wrote:
With all due respect Lee I have been using this simple setup off and on for several years. The T plugs into the guitar one side goes to Black Box or pedal what ever I am using. The other goes to my Peterson strobe (VS-2, strobe flip, or present HD strobe) all of which sound fine no distortion no degradation or change of tone in any way. My Goodrich pedal have had the resistor installed for a tuner out but I have a vintage Sho Bud that only has 2 plugs and without major mods can not have a third added. I also have a Goodrich Active pedal that has a tuner out and sounds No Better than the simple Y connector.

Barry

That's the same splitter I use. If I split the signal at the guitar, there is a noticeable degradation (tone suck!) in the sound when I insert the tuner into the splitter. If I split the signal on the output of my Sarno FreeLoader, there is no tone suck. Those are the same results I had with a Hilton Digital Sustain buffer.

NOTE: These results are with my Korg tuners and an Intellitouch tuner. I don't have a Peterson tuner.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 4:40 am    

The tuners may be the difference I have tried and used 3 different Peterson models all of which if put in line do cause tone suck and horrible noise and distortion. when I split them out with the splitter there is no difference in tone with the tuner Plugged in or with it unplugged.

Barry

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 7:04 am    

Barry Coker wrote:
The tuners may be the difference I have tried and used 3 different Peterson models all of which if put in line do cause tone suck and horrible noise and distortion. when I split them out with the splitter there is no difference in tone with the tuner Plugged in or with it unplugged.

Barry

It was subtle, but I had the same experience. I now use a Peterson TP-3 clip-on pickup clamped to the leg instead of putting the tuner inline. It works well so far, and is comparable in cost to a splitter. The only downside I've found so far is when trying to tune mid-song. The entire instrument resonates sympathetically with the loud music, making it hard for the clip-on to distinguish the notes coming from the guitar. I guess this is true of any clip-on tuner.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/peterson-tp-3-clip-on-tuner-pickup

Note that the TP-3 has a standard 1/4" TS "guitar plug" and is not to be confused with the Peterson PitchGrabber which has a 3.5mm TRS plug for mobile phones.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 8:46 am    

something like this will solve a lot of problems:

https://empresseffects.com/products/buffer

always sends a strong signal to the tuner, put your volume pedal and effects in the loop, great little box.
Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 6:17 pm    

I have a Peterson Strobostomp Classic tuner inline (guitar -> tuner -> Hilton VP - > amp) and have the switch on the tuner set to "True Bypass." The true bypass is supposed to prevent tone degradation and you guys say it still degrades the tone...which means it's not really a true bypass?

I like having the tuner mute the guitar signal for silent tuning. Can you have this kind of silent tuning if you connect the tuner to the Hilton tuner out jack instead of inline? If not, would a Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box help to prevent the tone degradation from an inline tuner? I was thinking of getting a black box for better tone.
Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 7:29 pm    

The first Sticky at the top of the Electronics page is the best solution I have found and is very simple if your VP has 1 in and 2 amp outs.

Barry

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 5:34 am    

Thanks for letting me know about that sticky tuner discussion, Barry. I'm looking into it.
Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 6:42 am    

Jacek Jakubek wrote:
I have a Peterson Strobostomp Classic tuner inline (guitar -> tuner -> Hilton VP - > amp) and have the switch on the tuner set to "True Bypass." The true bypass is supposed to prevent tone degradation and you guys say it still degrades the tone...which means it's not really a true bypass?

I like having the tuner mute the guitar signal for silent tuning. Can you have this kind of silent tuning if you connect the tuner to the Hilton tuner out jack instead of inline? If not, would a Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box help to prevent the tone degradation from an inline tuner? I was thinking of getting a black box for better tone.

I use almost exactly the same setup with a strobostomp HD and a Hilton vp. I agree that the silent tuning is a really nice feature of the strobostomp - It only works inline, not if it's hanging off a tuner out.

You should be able to set the strobostomp on "true bypass" and not have any significant signal degradation as the Hilton is an active pedal that will buffer the signal. No need for a black box unless you think it will improve your tone.

If you were to use a passive pot volume pedal, you would want to use the buffered mode on the strobostomp.

Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 6:53 am    

Thanks, Gabriel. I have been using the strobostomp in the true bypass mode and it's good to know that the Hilton pedal protects the signal even further. The reason I want to get the black box is to get better tone out of my solid state amps which people here say it does. But I'm holding off for now, my main concern now is to get better at playing.