| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  58 Champion lap steel Tele pickup.
Daniel Jarvis

Western Australia, Au.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 3:50 am    

Hi all, I'm trying to track down some info on my apparent 54 champion lap steel. The add said the pot dates it as a 54 but the serial number dates it as a 53. I believe its the studio deluxe as it has the legs but was not stated in the add. I've got it home and pulled it apart to check the pots date. It came up as a 58. I called dealer and ask him about it a was told it probably got changed out. I fired straight back your add said you dated it by the pots. I ask him where he got his info on the serial number so I could check but no answer. Plus after that conversation the sold add on his web site suddenly didnt state it was dated by the pots. So I'm really not trusting of this dealer any more. But I was told it had original telecaster pick up in it, which was the main reason I brought it. My question is after that little back story how can I tell if it is a telecast pick up in it? It all looks untouched on the inside. I think I have a 58 champion studio deluxe. Any info would be great cheers!!!!!
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 6:08 am    

There remains much confusion about the nomenclature of the entry level Fender lap steels. If your guitar is perfectly stock, and has not been modified after it was originally shipped from Orange County sometime during the second half of the last century, and it has legs, it's not a Champion -- it's a Studio Deluxe.

The Champion came first. It was a student model 6-string lap steel that was covered in pearloid, usually yellow, but sometimes blue-gray. It's the model with the pickup similar, but not identical, to the one used in the early Telecasters.

The Champ followed, and was commonly lacquered in various shades of white or blonde. Its pickup was similar, but not identical, to the one used on the Stratocaster. It usually had a black plastic pickup cover and tuner buttons. Later models often had black metal knobs.

The Studio Deluxe was nearly identical to the Champ, but it came with three adjustable legs. It had a marginally thicker body to accomodate the leg sockets. It used the same pickup as the Champ, but usually with a white cover and white tuner buttons.

There was also a White 6-string console, which is similar, but not identical, to the Studio Deluxe.

Be aware that the serial numbers stamped on the mounting plates are virtually useless for dating purposes on Fender steel guitars.

Enjoy your Studio Deluxe. A few years back, I purchased one rather inexpensively that had been stripped of its pickup and electronic components, and was repainted candy apple red. I refurbished it with an aftermarket pickup, pots, tone cap, and jack. I love it:

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 1:03 pm    

A 58 Studio Deluxe would have a pickup with flat poles and a plastic cover, the wind is similar to a black guard ('50 to '55) Esquire/Tele with different mounts. A '58 Tele pickup would have staggered poles.
Daniel Jarvis

Western Australia, Au.
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 4:15 pm    

Hi Jack and Glenn thanks for your time and the info its fantastic!!!! I'm sure now shes a studio deluxe and she came with the original case which has that nice old/ vintage smell to it. I think she has been sitting in a store room for a while. The dealer who sold it to me said it was a investment piece but I play her every day. I couldnt get C6 tuning on her then after some home work I found it had the wrong strings so with the strings she had I found out I could get open G. OMG I love that sound!!!!!!!!!! I personally prefer open G over C6 and about to dive into open D. Once again thanks guys!!!
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2019 9:30 am    

Looks real nice. Someone here could probably point you in the direction of a replacement decal, if you care. It may be just a trimmed down Bass or Tele one, if so then it'll be super easy to get.
Daniel Jarvis

Western Australia, Au.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 4:51 pm    

Hi all, after help from you guys and some further research it turns out my 54 champ with a tele pickup is a 58 champion with a strat pickup. But one thing that didnt change is that she still a studio deluxe. I contacted the seller and explained what I had found out on the guitar and got a some of my money back as it was not what he advertised. So I can honestly say she is a 1958 champion studio deluxe lap steel and shes all original. Getting played everyday!!!
Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 6:02 pm    

A Studio Deluxe is worth substantially more than a champ imo. When i had one several years ago it cost about twice as much as a Champ.