| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone who knows about BRIDGES and INTONATION have question
Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 8:42 am    

I don’t know anything about either, but when I unstrung my remington Steelmaster, the bridge was a little wobbly because the strings weren’t holding it down. These seem to have the most simple bridges I’ve ever seen. If I were to learn about intonation this would be the guitar. Anyway it wobbled a bit. I’m assuming this should be adjusted for different tunings, but every tuning I’ve thrown at them so far has worked fine. Should a small shift mess things up? Does anyone have an insightful video on bridges like these?

So if you see my milk cow, won't you drive her on home?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 8:53 am    

Set your bridge(s) perpendicular to the strings. The distance from where the strings break over the nut to the center of the twelfth fret should be the same as the distance from where the strings break over the bridge to the center of the twelfth fret. In other words, the twelfth fret should be centered between the nut and the bridge.
Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 11:28 am    

Set it as Jack says, that is all you need to do
Normally a bridge like this would have springs on the adjusment screws to keep it pushed forward.
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 5:09 am    

Yes, put springs on the screw just behind the bridge.

To adjust, find the harmonic in the middle of the string and make sure it is directly over the 12th fret marker.

If the harmonic is closer to the nut end, you need to move the bridge further from the nut to make the string longer (do the opposite if the harmonic is slightly towards the bridge end). You only need to do this for the highest and lowest strings. The bridge should end up pretty much straight.

You can also do it by measuring the length of the string. The distance between the nut and the 12th fret should be the same as between the 12th fret and the bridge. The measuring method is not as accurate though.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 7:11 am    

99% of proper steel guitar intonation is by ear.
The "frets" or fret markers are only there to get you close to the correct position. Of course the distance from the nut to the 12th "fret" and from the 12th "fret" to the bridge should be the same. (or very close to the same)

**** NOTE**** when you place your bar over any fret marker, it is an approximation of the perfect position, due to the parallax between your eye positions and the bar and the "fret".

As you play higher or lower on the fretboard, the parallax changes, and you have to adjust (by ear) placing the bar seemingly above or below the "fret" to achieve the perfect pitch. This is why your ear is so important.

Try playing blindfolded... it is possible but very difficult to make large jumps (intervals of fourth or fifths, or octaves!) you will have to slide into the correct note by using your ear.

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 9:45 am    

In other words, Beethoven would not've been a very good steel player Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 12:18 pm    

yes... if His organ was out of tune he would not even know!

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 4:24 pm     chimes

After you have set your 12th fret make sure to do chimes at the 9th 24th 5th and so on to see where they are visually.
You may want to tweek after checking you total chimes.

I am fairly certain that Herbs guitars don't use springs on the adjust screw. Simply make sure it is all seated where you turn the head. The Pressure of the strings hold every thing in action.

It is very likely the entire guitar is already set up perfectly, assuming you haven't adjusted anything.

Herb was very meticulous in his instruments, especially the ones like you have. Those came from a time when he was younger and quite active -- you got a really special piece.
YouTube Channel
Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2019 9:07 am     Re: chimes

George Piburn wrote:
After you have set your 12th fret make sure to do chimes at the 9th 24th 5th and so on to see where they are visually.
You may want to tweek after checking you total chimes.

I am fairly certain that Herbs guitars don't use springs on the adjust screw. Simply make sure it is all seated where you turn the head. The Pressure of the strings hold every thing in action.

It is very likely the entire guitar is already set up perfectly, assuming you haven't adjusted anything.

Herb was very meticulous in his instruments, especially the ones like you have. Those came from a time when he was younger and quite active -- you got a really special piece.

Thank you! I know that every time I play it. No, there are no springs only screws. All I did was push the bridge as far forward as possible when putting on the springs and everything seems to be in check by all measures. Such a simple instrument. So many people overdo it. Tisk. RIP HERBY.