| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best strings for lacquer Fessy D10?
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 11:09 pm    

On my six string guitars found that string selection can really help build out the characteristic tone of specific instrument while managing objectionable or undesirable characteristics. (Extreme example - I ended up with Monel flatwounds on an acoustic with a very strong personality).

I have not spent much time experimenting with PSG strings... no pressing need to this point.. but some incentive at the moment.

If you believe you have mastered the art of picking strings to match different types of instruments, I would appreciate your thoughtful input to help make this guitar the most it can be.

A few more data points on this Fessy are:
- hardware load is 8x8
- lacquer, hard hard striped (flamed) maple cabinet
- pretty sure it has George L 10-1's (because no markings on pickup cover).
- split switch to get single coil tone which I use preferentially if no 60 hz hum.
- this fessy is a great example of one - very zrticulaye clear and balanced tone, very good sustain and no dead spots.
- i use it for recording projects for these reasons (even though I wouldn't describe it as the easiest to play).
- on the negative.. I would say it can "meow" a little more than I care for, and could stand to have less note separation (???) to let suspended chords meld together for texture rather than voice leading.

Based on a low sample count I would describe the Fessy sound as 'modern' and "fat" but not
thick or heavy, with a signature low-mid bump - yet articulate, clear and pure while still having warmth and sufficient tonal complexity tending to pure with "taut string" clarity and feel. This one has those characteristics. Leans more Bud than Emmons from a mid point.

I have always thought GHS Boomers gave balanced tone on inherently balanced sounding six string guitars... so thinking that might be a good fit here.

I am curious to try the NYXLs as they are described as having quite a bit more mids and bite that a typical nickle string which should also balance well.

I have been heavily bouncing the B+C pedals lately so longevity is a major factor.

String gauge is part of the discussion also.. as well as differentiatimg between C6 and E9 sets.

I like succulent rich smooth C6 tones and clear dynamic expressive E9 tones that do not get brittle at the 17th fret - although wouldn't say Twang... which implies brighter and thinner sounding than my ear wants to hear.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 25 Nov 2019 4:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 2:36 am    

I have used SITs on my Fessys and other guitars for years. Tried other brands a few times, including some pricey ones, but I honestly couldn't hear a real difference. But, always willing to try new things, a little over a month ago I put a set of D'Adarrio NYXLs on my Sho Bud Super Pro. I still don't hear a notable difference in tone, but I have to admit that they hold their tuning significantly longer and better than the SITs. For that reason alone they are worth the extra expense. That expense ($17 a set vs. $5+ for SITs) might be offset if they also last so much longer than other brands, as some have experienced. Normally, I like to change my strings every four gigs or so. With two main gigging steels, it's going to take a long time to get to twelve gigs. We'll see.

In full disclosure, I haven't put a set on the Fessy yet. I ordered a set from the Forum that appear to have shipped out last Monday. Hoping to get them today or tomorrow so I can put them on and let them stretch before a gig next weekend.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 11:10 pm    

Thanks for your input Dan.

I also have a Shobud except 74 Pro II.. pretty sure I put SITs on it as well! I think the darker smoother rounder tone of the Shobud demands a brighter string.

I like to change my strings every five years not five gigs.. and lo and behold this is year 5. I mostly wear out licks not strings... haha

I found in the past that my strings would wear a bit flat on the top from the steel bar - but I have been using a Telonics black bar since the last string change and not only does it improve the tone (warmer; less twang) but slide noise and drag is much lower and string tonal life longer also.

With NYXLs I might get 17 years now. Wink

PS let me know how the NYXLs turn out!
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 5:30 am    

Tom: so I finally got a set of NYXLs on the E9 neck of my D-10 Fessy. Overall I'd say: "Meh." As with the Sho Bud, I didn't hear any difference in tone. And unlike the Sho Bud, it took a while for the tuning on the NYXLs to settle in on this guitar (which is curious, since this Fessy has always held its tuning extremely well).

Two caveats to all this

1) Tone: my ears might be kind of worn out from all my amp comparing over the last several weeks, and I was hearing the Fessy in a new amp, so it's a little hard to say what effect the NYXLs actually had on its tone.

2) As for tuning: when the weather turns cold here as it has over the last couple of weeks, my study fluctuates pretty wildly in temperature, anywhere from low 50s to mid 60s pretty quickly (but not the humidity, which I keep pretty steadily between upper 40s and low 50s), so any strings are going to be a little challenged by that. I will say that I gigged it last night and, after sitting in the trunk of a car driving around a very cold day in New Hampshire for a few hours (must do errands while I can!) I set it up in a warm theater and it played perfectly in tune.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 8:53 pm    

Awesome Dan,.thanks for the update.

I put in a string order for the NYXL regular E9 shortly after my prior post, and just strung them up tonight.

I have no idea what was on before as they were fresh from prior owner when I bought the guitar.

I would agree the NYXLs are somewhat "meh" overall - although many positives.

They are certainly different than the prior set which I really liked.

Overall the NYXL strike me as:

* very balanced in tonal character top to bottom
* a laid back tone - warmer, mellower and a softer and rounder smoother top end.
* great sustain and play smoooooth.
* have a lower tension feel although tuning was well within range of prior string set...
* straightforward simple timbre
* Don't have bell like clarity simply due to the more subdued presence and heavier mids and eq shape.
* quieter and darker acoustically.
* unexciting but still plenty of things to like.

Tomorrow I will play my amp louder and see how thier overall tonal balance translates with volume levels.

I suspect these are strings that would be a good anti-dote for anyone with a spikey or shrill tone and better with slightly OD tube amps to give them a little more scoop and pizzazz.

For now I have to say I preferred the prior string set as they had more character and complexity, were "bell like" in tone but more difficult to dial in and not as "balanced" across the strings. I really liked the dynamic response of the prior set... you could really make them talk.

Now I need to ID my prior set. I will try to post a pic of the matching C6 set ball ends and wraps.

Again it amazes me how critical string selection can be.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 9 Dec 2019 4:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 9:50 pm    

These are the matching C6 set to my prior E9 set... any telltale indicators as to what brand they might be?

[/img]
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 12:01 pm    

Anyone have ideas on what the string makes are in prior picture? Those are a C6 set.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 4:51 pm    

I would have to say it is virtually impossible to ID a string brand from a picture like that. Outside of D'Addario strings with colored ball ends, the strings in your picture look like every brand I have ever used over the past 49 years.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 7:52 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I would have to say it is virtually impossible to ID a string brand from a picture like that. Outside of D'Addario strings with colored ball ends, the strings in your picture look like every brand I have ever used over the past 49 years.

I can't tell them apart from SIT's... all the wrap details seem to be common as if one manufacturer makes everything.

Unfortunately, can't even tell if they're stainless or nickel.

Maybe I need to soak them in coca cola for a day and compare against known strings Smile