| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal Potentiometers
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 4:40 pm    

Just had a PEC pot fail in my back up volume pedal. So... Who sells the "best, longest life" 500K pot with a longer shaft, 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch. Not interested in Dunlop, been there done that. 470K just does not work for me. Will consider a used AB if it has not been opened or drilled for cleaning. Thanks...
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 6:36 pm     Re: Volume Pedal Potentiometers

Dick Sexton wrote:
Just had a PEC pot fail in my back up volume pedal. So... Who sells the "best, longest life" 500K pot with a longer shaft, 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch. Not interested in Dunlop, been there done that. 470K just does not work for me. Will consider a used AB if it has not been opened or drilled for cleaning. Thanks...

Out of curiosity what is it about the Dunlop that you dont like?
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 6:58 am     Greg

I've used many Dunlop pots in different pedals, but have come from the AB era and really never felt comfortable with the throw of the Dunlop pot, how it came on, etc, I think because it is a 470k ohm verse a 500k ohm pot. I know, that is a low percentage of the total, but I notice it. I'm 5'2" tall(used to be taller) 77 years old and use the old Ernie Ball volume pedals because they are taller and fit me better. I prefer the longer shafts, even though I can make a 1" shaft work(just me, cause I'm old I guess).

Oh, the mounting block for the pots in the older EB vps are thick and take up a lot of the thread.

Now, I have found that the Dunlop pots give good life and I believe they would work in most passive volume pedals and would serve the users well. I understand they have a newer one out now that makes soldering the wires to the pot much easier, that is a plus.

Thanks for the question...
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 2:00 pm     Volume pedal potentiometers

I still use the old AB pots. You can find them sometimes on eBay. The longer shafts are harder to find. Good luck.
Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 3:34 pm    

Jeff Surratt at Show Pro has a limited supply of 500k clarostats with long shafts. I actually prefer the clarostats over the ab. I just got a new one from Jeff last week. $30 plus postage.

Best deal going in my opinion

Bill
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 6:49 pm    

Dick;

I'm with you on the older EB pedals. I own two of them and find that they are great pedals. Built like a tank and are totally indestructible.

I usually change the string about every two or three years with a non breakable wax string.

I did put a Dunlop pot in one the EB and it works fine with no problems at all. The EB pots lasts about a year or two. I'm hoping the Dunlop will beat that.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 6:21 am     Greg

Preferred weapon in a bar fight! Just joking of course.

I shot competition archery and had some bow string serving material that was braided and made out of Kevlar.
Put that on both of my EBs and it has been on there over ten years. Never failed. Message me your address, I'll drop you some in the mail.

Nice to hear others are using this great pedal.

By the way, that Dunlop pot will give you good service.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 10:54 am     Volume pedal potentiometers

DicK, birds of a feather flock together. Many years ago, I also competed in archery and belonged to an archery club. I worked my way up to A class.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 11:11 am     George...

Love the technical side of that also. Very Happy
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 3:33 am    

The later production Clarostat's and their tendency to early failure is why other brands have been tried. Even the old (original) Goodrich Co acknowledged this.

The Dunlop's are OK, but I don't like the "audio" curve and they tend to (electronically) work a little different than the old AB's. I recently put one of the Bradshaw Dunlop's in a pedal to replace a (finally) failing AB. I immediately noticed the taper difference especially at the beginning of the pedal. The Dunlop works OK just the difference in the taper at low resistance end of pot. The original AB pots were a "modified logarithmic" (audio) taper. The Dunlop is a standard audio taper.

The new Goodrich Co is having a custom pot made. I don't know the status except a local music store and Goodrich dealer tried to order pots about 2 weeks ago and Goodrich wouldn't sell them any as they only had enough for their own production at the time.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 4:51 am     Jack...

Thanks, Jack. Let us know if you hear anything else about the new Clarostat pot's status. Sounds very interesting. And promising!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 6:06 am    

Dick, from what I've been told the new Goodrich custom pot will not be made by Clarostat.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 9:08 am     Jack...

Hummm!
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 11:54 am    

Dick, do you have later info that Clarostat is going to make the Goodrich custom pots?
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 5:15 pm     Jack...

No I don't. Please let me know if you hear when they will be available. Thank you
Bobby DeMoss

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2019 4:20 pm     Volume Pots

DITTO! Smile

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 12:27 pm     Pec Pot

BILLY COOPER
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 12:19 pm    

DICK SEXTON
IF YOU STILL NEED A POT. AND STILL HAVE YOUR BAD PEC POT. IT MIGHT BE REPAIRABLE.GIVE ME A CALL WILL SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU ,NO CHARGE. WILLIE SIMS 270/442/2106
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 12:43 pm    

I was told by Jeff Surratt, who supplies the new Clarostat that is made by Honeywell, is not a carbon track pot.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,