| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingerpicks
Drew McGrath

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 7:45 pm    

Hello all,

I am brand new to the pedal steel as well as this forum. I just picked up a Sho Bud Maverick several months ago to get my feet wet (I have heard that this model is a very basic student model instrument ) but I'm excited to start learning with what I have. I was told by a local steel player that this is the best online source for information regarding the pedal steel and so I ask : How snug/uncomfortable are finger picks supposed to be? Ive been a guitar player for several years so I am not used to finger picks at all. Any ideas or recommendations for sizes of picks and companies to look into etc? Any input is much appreciated!
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 9:12 pm    

There's lots of old threads about fitting finger and thumbpicks, use the Search link above. You want them to be pretty comfortable, my fingerpicks are kinda loose but my thumbpicks are very snug.

I think Dunlops (thinner gauge like .020) or Propiks are good places to start. A thinner fingerband like current Nationals may be more comfortable but their blades aren't nicely spooned like Dunlop and Propik

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1597171

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=214651

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351391
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 10:04 pm     Fingerpicks

To me fitting a set of finger picks is a very special job. I take a drill bit smaller than my fingers and clamp it in a vice, With the smooth chuck end exposed, Then smoothly hammer (4oz. ball peen hammer) the wings on the pick to a slightly oval opening to fit my finger. Like this

By having a very smooth fit, And Lick your fingers, The picks will stay in place with no movement. If the picks are just bent the holes act like hinges and end up with a octagon shaped picks that will catch on each other and pull them off in the middle of a song.

ADVICE. Carry a container of spare and old picks with you, If some one wants to play your steel or show you a lick, Put your fitted picks in your pocket or leave them on your fingers. Hand them your spare and old pick container. It takes a lot of work to refit the picks if they have larger or smaller fingers.
Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 9:31 am    

Bobby, thanks for the tip. I recently bought a pair of ring shaping pliers but still not satisfied with the results. I still got an edge at the holes. Down to the basement I go to try this. I makes much better sense.
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 11:12 am    

Mine are snug enough that if I do some kind of activity beforehand, like going for run, which pushes more blood into my extremities, that they feel awfully tight. They're not so snug that I can't slide them straight off in a single swoop, but they are snug enough that they can't swivel around on my fingers.

I think fingerpicks are the most personal of all steel guitar gear. It really does depend on what you like, what works for you, and what sound you like to get with them.
Ben Michaels

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 4:11 pm    

Just started playing this summer and reading the forums I thought you guys were crazy about the amount of time and effort that people spent on their fingerpicks. Coming from a six string, I didnt understand the big deal.

A few months playing and I am solidly in the same camp. I carry extras just so no one else touches my main set. Also have probably spent hours getting them exactly right.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 9:19 am    

I sympathize with Curt only in a different direction.
Here in Minnesnowta, when my fingers are cold, the picks are loose. Very Happy
Erv
Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 10:41 am    

This may sound crazy, but I have taken a piece of 5/8 diameter dowel rod (with the end rounded off) and put new picks on the end of the dowel while holding the dowel in a vise. Then I take a hose clamp and tighten the pick up against the dowel rod. It keeps the picks perfectly round and they can be adjusted to fit your fingers. I'm sure some people would have to use different diameters of dowel rod, but the 5/8 is pretty darn close. For what it's worth. LOL!
Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 10:53 am    

What would be a most used gauge in any brand i use Dunlop 025 gauge.

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 11:14 am    

Acri picks. No pain, no shaping, easy to snug. Feels like body armor at first, but you get used to them. Available at Elderly.
https://www.elderly.com/collections/category_fingerpicks?_=pf&pf_v_brand=Acri

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 10:42 am     finger picks

Drew,
I have invented a finger pick that according to the US Patent office is the largest improvement to finger picks in 50 years. These picks are the most comfortable picks out there,
Go to saddle thumb pick videos on Goggle, the finger picks are at the second halve of the video. If you want pricing or have any other questions e-mail me. I no longer have the web site on the videos.
Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 12:13 pm     IMHO, there’s none better!

Two things for sure,
1. They are the BEST!
2. “Keep yer biscuit hooks off my Saddle finger picks!” 😎
Thanks Richard.

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 5:49 am    

"3M Durapore" tape. Check it out. It looks silly but it works. Best finger-pick hack, ever!

Drew McGrath

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 7:31 am    

This is incredible. Thank you all for the feedback. It looks like I have some serious experimenting to do!
Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 10:29 am    

Now don't experiment tooo much...
Fingerpicks take some getting used to, even when they fit & work properly.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 1:08 pm    

Bud Angelotti wrote:
Now don't experiment tooo much...
Fingerpicks take some getting used to, even when they fit & work properly.

This is great advice. I'm 6 months into the instrument so I'm reminding myself here: Suck it up and get on with it. Very Happy
Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 2:36 pm    

I've been using these for the past few years. No slipping picks, no discomfort.

Not the cheapest, but worth the price in my opinion:

https://www.perfecttouchpicks.com/#/
John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 4:29 am    

I like Hoffmeyer or Wyatt finger picks and Bluechip thumb picks. The Bluechips are the closest match for a balanced sound with finger picks (to my ears). None of these products are inexpensive, but are very high quality. The Bluechip material does not wear - losing the darn thing is painful $$$.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 7:15 am    

To banish the recurring nightmare in which I go off to a gig and leave my picks lying on my practice guitar at home, I got a second set which live in my gig case.

It took a very long time to shape the new ones to feel exactly like the existing ones, but it's been worth it for peace of mind!

I always carry a pair of round nosed pliers in case I drop a pick in the dark and tread on it before I see it. It has happened once and I was able to perform a good enough rescue to continue - without those pliers I would have been sunk.
Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 8:42 am    

Love the input. As a inventor of thumb and finger picks I have been watching this conversation for 10 years when there is a simple solution. Picks that are adjustable and DO NOT stay on by clamping on your cuticles. The solution is 2,000 years old just look at your left hand, does your wedding ring fall off or hurt? Google SADDLE picks
Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 12:28 pm    

Drew
See my post under the entry 'These darn picks'.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick