| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strymon El Capistan Delay
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 6:06 am    

Is anyone using one of these? I know Paul Franklin used one for a while.
I would like to know if the tone is thicker.
Thanks for the replies.

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 6:23 am    

I had one and then sold it. Well made and a great sound but once I could hear the digital artifacts they use to make it sound analog I couldn't use it anymore. You know those fake clicks, pops and warbles they overlay on to the digital signal to give it a "tape" sound.

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 9:06 am     El Capistan

Roy, I use one and like the sound and footprint. You don't have to use all the effects, just reverb which is built in and delay that you can adjust to taste. I run from my FP to the Strymon-SGBB-V8 Octal all mounted on top of my N112 miked with a Sennheiser e903 to the board or with no amp out of the V8 to the board.

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 1:05 pm    

I absolutely love my El Capistan on steel guitar. It sounds beautiful. My pedalboard for steel is a Hilton Pro>Strobostomp>Strymon Deco>Strymon El Capitan>Strymon Flint> amp.

My El Cap replaced various analog delays that I had used before. It’s a great pedal.....I often use it in place of reverb because it sounds so good in a mix.
Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 3:59 am    

There are many controls on the box. You can make the tone thicker than you can with an analog or actual tape unit (unless you have a large selection of aged recording tapes).
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 9:17 am    

I like it a lot. Can get a whole range of sounds from it all the way from crystal clean digital to ambient washes to tape to everything in between. I also like it because it has a really good spring reverb emulation so it saves me a box.

I do see Bob's point, the tape crinkle setting adds pretty predictable artifacts. I don't use it.

One other thing that I like about it is the DB boost and loss feature. Useful for home practice or for pushing the front of an amp.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 7:24 am    

My only negative with this was that it simply had more tricks than I needed or used. I've heard some spectacular sounds being generated, even Mellotron sorts of effects.
But I found a simpler delay that gave me all the straight delay and the modulated FX I was looking for and was easier to operate and I sold the El Cap to someone for whom this was the perfect pedal.
Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 7:33 am    

Thanks Guys,
I am thinking that I want to do away with all of my Boss units and go to one delay that I can add reverb if I need to, Currently using DD-3 (800ms)to Wet Reverb, no amp reverb. NV112 with TT-12 speaker. I actually prefer using delay only (like Sarah Jory) It is thicker (1 or 2 slap backs) and not as saturated or buried as with the delay only. I add the reverb on older Ray Price songs to give it that vintage sound.
Thanks for everyone's response.