| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel string height and nut clearance
Robert W Wilson

Palisade, Western Colorado
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 9:37 am    

I acquired a nice Epi Electar (1936-37 M) purchased here on the forum. I've been learning PSG for 18 months and also want to learn lap and have something to tinker with.

I'm having an issue with the difference in string height. Used to digging deep on PSG, I bottom out my picks on the Epi because the clearance over the fret is only about 1/4".

The old nut was raggedy and tight so I fabricated a new one with 3/8" clearance. It didn't function because the horseshoe pickup won't go any higher than 1/4". I lowered the nut to 5/16" and it works again but picking height is not improved.

1) Anybody else have this shallow picking problem? Do I need to learn shallow picking technique and/or modify my picks?

2) It appears the horseshoe could easily be raised with a spacer under the knurled adjuster. I would then fab a new higher bridge and nut to at least 7/16".

3) How much side clearance for strings at the nut is proper? Are different nuts required for thin/thick strings?

4) Notice the pin mount: its tough to hit that hole right-on and you can see some aluminum tape shimming on my first attempt. Can this hole be oversized a bit? I think with a higher nut the string leverage may pull the nut crooked towards the bridge. Maybe some sort of bedding compound that won't glue it down?

Great tone on the pickup! Sorry for so many questions.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 11:59 am     Re: Lap steel string height and nut clearance

Robert W Wilson wrote:

1) Anybody else have this shallow picking problem? Do I need to learn shallow picking technique and/or modify my picks?

My National New Yorker has even lower strings! I have to really pay attention when I play it, or I'm constantly clicking the body. Laughing

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 1:07 pm    

Increasing your string gauges just a tad will make them tighter and will help minimize the low action issue. Try this first: Whatever tuning you are using, raise each string a full-step higher in pitch, which will increase their tension. If your issue goes away, heavier strings may be your answer.

Nice job on the nut.