| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  strings rattle
Derrell Reagan

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 3:23 pm    

the strings rattle on my new Vorson 8 string lap steel guitar. How can i correct this .
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 4:25 pm    

Use a tiny round rat-tail file to slightly open up (debur) the slots in the nut or bridge on the buzzy strings.
ALSO: use a straight-edge to check that the string heights are all level (if they are not level you will get a buzz on a string if the adjacent string is higher when you place the bar across several strings) it will rattle because the bar pressure will be less on the lower string...

NOTE: Just file a very little at a time, re-tune the string and check again repeat, if needed.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 4:41 pm     strings rattle

Thanks Dom I really appreciate the info...
Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 6:42 pm    

Don't "deburr" or open up the string slots in the nut or bridge UNLESS there is a buzz when the string is played open.Then it is often that the slot has been cut too flat.
Yes, having the top of the strings level is important, check both near the nut and near the bridge.
Sometimes it is an issue with poor string guage selection. For example if you have a 18G between a 16 and a 26
I would not advise cutting the nut slots deeper unless you have the correct nut slotting files and know how to use them.
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 7:20 pm    

Yes: what Jeff said is right, it is an important difference if the buzz is only when using a bar, or when the strings are picked open. If there is no buzz open, then it is most likely string height is un-even.

Also a buzz can happen if the strings are really loose due to a very light gauge used when a larger size should be chosen for that particular pitch. (I always use the heaviest gauge possible, so that the strings are tight and not too bendy when the bar is applied)

One more thing to check that the strings are wound underneath the tuning pegs so that the most downforce is applied to the nut.