| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th low string tone suggestions?
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 7:46 am    

A not-quite-newbie problem:

I am looking for suggestions to get better tone out of the bottom couple of strings on the C6th neck. It seems really easy to make them too "thuddy", so they don't sound like the rest of the strings I'm playing. Or contrariwise, to back off the pickup far enough so they don't sound solid.

And it seems like the difference between buzzy because of not enough bar pressure and sharp because of too much is very small.

Mullen G2, BL 705 pickups, D'Addario NYXL strings, BJS bar, Peavey N112 amp, but it doesn't seem like any of these variables make a lot of difference -- I can get the same sound on another guitar with different pickups, strings, bar, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!

--Al Evans

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 1:58 pm    

I've always assumed that the bottom string should be felt rather than heard, a bit like the 32' stop on an organ.
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 3:28 pm    

I disagree that they should not be heard - just listen to Buddy Emmon's use of the 10th string lower (aka the "boo-wah") on "NightLife" and other songs - very full, rich notes. I too sometimes have problems getting the tone I want from the low strings on C6 - I currently have a Telonics X pickup coming my way - so at least I can adjust volume level for the low strings - I find if I adjust the bass EQ on the amp so that I like the bass note tone, the lower-mid range gets overly loud. I am thinking the adjustable pole pieces will help me dial in a more balanced tone.

Beyond that, though, I am open to suggestions. Do the bass strings go "flat" faster than the others - would changing strings more often help? I will be paying attention to other suggestions.

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 4:42 pm    

I've never played a G2, but I've owned 3 PRP Mullen guitars with the single coil pickups. One of the most obvious strengths of these guitars is the 9th and 10th strings on the C6 neck. Best volume and tone of any guitar in my 40 years of playing a dozen or so different guitars.

Short of changing the 705's out for the Mullen S/C's, I might suggest you boost the highs on your amp or roll off some bottom.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 5:39 pm    

Douglas is right about the richness of the boo-wah, but it comes from the spacing of the chord (A-E-A-C# from the bottom up) rather than the tenth string on its own.
Trombone chords are often spaced that way for maximum sonority.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 5:50 pm    

I am playing a Sho Bud Super Pro through a NV112. When playing C6 I back off the Low setting some just enough to take out the whooping sound on the 9th and 10 strings. (heavy bass tone)
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 8:32 pm    

The key thing for me is the pickup. With a single coil pickup, the low strings have full low fundamental AND a clear treble edge without the high strings sounding shrill. I could never quite achieve this with a humbucker and I tried a bunch of 'em.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 7:50 am    

Are you playing through an amp with a 15" speaker?
Erv
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 8:46 am    

I would experiment without using an amp. If you can get the low strings to sound good without plugging the steel in you will have solved your problem. Variables will be in picking, strings and maybe the guitar itself. Also listen closely to players that you like. It is possible that they have the same problem but know how to sound good anyway.

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 5:17 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I would experiment without using an amp. If you can get the low strings to sound good without plugging the steel in you will have solved your problem. Variables will be in picking, strings and maybe the guitar itself. Also listen closely to players that you like. It is possible that they have the same problem but know how to sound good anyway.

Thanks! That's a good idea.

I think what would really work best would be a pickup with a separate channel for the low strings. Then they could be EQed separately, and it would be a different problem! Very Happy

--Al Evans

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 4:16 pm    

The ProPik "Quick-Pik" model Thumb Pick really brings out the Treble in the Wound strings.
Jim Palanscar turned me on to these.
Generally speaking, among traditional style picks a thinner flickier pick will be more treble-ee, and a heavy-stiff pick will be more thud-ee.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 4:39 pm    

If you're using nickel wound strings, try a GHS nickel-iron .070 for that string. It has a brighter tone.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs-cryogenic-nickel-iron-wound-strings/

For a more extreme difference, go stainless:

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs-super-steel-stainless-wound-singles/