| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seats For The Vertically Challenged
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 5:50 am    

Player is 5' 5" and playing a Carter shortened one inch.

How critical is seat height going to be? My fanny is tired of this cheap keyboard bench.

Are there any options for me or should I just tough it out?

HowardP

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L
77' MSA Classic D-10
03' Carter D-10
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 7:03 am    

Get a regular Steeler's seat - the only way to go. There are several excellent seats on the market right now. Steeler's Choice, Walker, the ones built by Jerry Roller, and steelseat.com All have seats with and without backs and all that I know of will even build it to a custom height if you want.

I used to build seats but now have a Steeler's Choice "Sidekick" model with back.

BTW, my wife is from Good Hope.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 7:23 am    

Most of the steeler seats seem too high to me, but luckily they use electrical conduit for legs, so they're easily shortened by just using a hacksaw or tubing cutter. I've yet to find a steel seat that's as comfortable as an ordinary upholstered dining-room chair, but at least they fold up and give you a place to carry assorted strings, pedals, and cords.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 9:10 am    

Howard, I'm 5'6", with a 1" lowered D-10 Legrande that has the customary cutaway back apron.
That puts the back apron around 25 1/8".
I get along well with a Steelers Choice, the 20 1/2" must be about standard height.
With my street shoes or sneakers and a volume pedal, my thigh just brushes the back apron.
Of course I could adjust the back legs a few millimeters if I needed to.
Getting into a proper steel seat was money well spent.
Jason Weaver

Topeka, Kansas
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 12:23 pm    

I am on the other end of that challenge. I am 6'6" and my Desert Rose has about 3" added when my legs were custom made.

Right now I use a regular chair because I am a poor lowly student, but I do hope to get a seat made for me soon. I just wonder if I should add some inches to the seat too?

Jason

------------------
Jason Weaver
Topeka, KS
Desert Rose S-10 3x4 Black Mica
Goodrich VP & Peavey Vegas 400
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 2:03 pm    

Jason, I have another guitar that's not cut down, so I got a taller seat, around 23" with the extra height being in the cushion. I'm not sold on that approach because even though the foam is firm, the seat still has too much give beneath my buns.
I had at first asked for longer legs on the seat, but if lengthened they would be too long to fold away under the seat when you transport.
Asking a manufacturer what they can do for a Longfellow is something you could look into when you get ready to buy.
I guess a person could always ask for longer legs on the seat and just leave them in the extended position.
The only hang up would be taking up a little more room in your vehicle if you go somewhere.
Have you considered a bar stool?
Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 3:58 pm    

Quote:
Asking a manufacturer what they can do for a Longfellow is something you could look into when you get ready to buy.

Sounds like shortguy advice also. I suppose it also requires a knowledge of a particular seat when buying used.

Jack.."Good Hope"?

HowardP
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 5:54 am    

Howard, seat height is important to me. The amount of "meat on your rump" determines how high you sit. The amount of "meat on your legs" is also a factor in determining how high you can go without your legs touching the bottom of the instrument.I don't find it too difficult to change the length of the seatlegs to fit me.
If you know the height you need, the seat builder can build it to your specs.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

[This message was edited by John Daugherty on 17 February 2006 at 05:55 AM.]

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 12:06 pm    

I am 5'7" and I use a drummer's throne. I find I hold the bar easier and better when I do not have the seat elevated. It has something to do with the angle of my left arm relative to the necks of the guitar, but there is a signicant difference between seat up high and down low.
Jim
Tim Jones of Kansas

Andover, KS, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 9:39 pm    

A drum throne is a pretty good choice.

Most economy thrones fold up fairly compact, cushiony, and are reasonably priced. Some come with their own carry case. I spent the extra for one with a backrest. It comes in handy. Im not short but I was finding it difficult to get the right height to comfortably work the back neck on my Fender. An adjustable drum throne gives you a good comfortable position.

Tim Jones )~Fender 1000 and nothing else.~(
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2006 2:50 am    

Something to think about. The girls at work are told to keep their forearms parellal with the floor when typing. (cuts down on carpel tunnel problems) Maybe we steel players should keep that in mind. Larry

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400
Evans SE 150, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt