| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tunning keys
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 3:43 am    

I am interested in buying tunning keys for my double 10 steel, I like the butterfly tunning keys like the old pushpull Emmons use to use, but I am willing to use Sperzels if they will work, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 8:01 am    

The best source I've found is Stewart-MacDonald. Their web site is www.stewmac.com
The Gotoh #0933 will drop right in a p/p.
They have the "keystone" knobs also but not in metal, just plastic. They are #0912.
Erv
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 8:46 am    

While we're on the subject - anyone have an idea what could be used to replace keys on an 8 string Fender? I have the pan, but only one strip of keys and they're looking pretty weak. I wonder if there's something standard that would fit??
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 9:23 am    

Hey Jim, I just looked at the stewart macdonald's website and they have the keys you need for your fender, I have one of those fender key head pans with the keys on them for 8 strings and all they are is kluson tunners, those you can find almost anywhere.
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 9:34 am    

They have Keystone tuners in chrome and gold. Item # 1955.
------------
"The Kid"
D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, Goodrich LDR

[This message was edited by Tyler Hall on 16 February 2006 at 09:35 AM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 3:23 pm    

Steven - did you see a part number? I can't locate them. The standard Klusons aren't the same; these are 4-on-a-plate and I'm fairly sure the shaft is longer than standard (plus it's not a split shaft).
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2006 4:27 pm    

Hey Jim, check with Bobbe Seymour of steel guitar nashville, he may have those, I wish I could see your tunning pan with the keys in them, on my keys there is 4 per side and all of them are connected together and push into the holes of the pan together.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 5:33 am    

Steven - Mine are the same:4 on a strip. I'm trying to figure out if I can make a stock type of guitar key fit instead, but I'll shoot Bobbe note to see if he has the strip ones..
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 7:28 am    

Tyler,
Those #1955 tuners are a different design and wouldn't really be adaptable to a p/p Emmons.

Also,
There are two different type of tuners on the Stringmasters. The early "lollypoop" tuners were kind of an "integrated" tuner and it would be very hard to find a replacement to fit other than an original. The newer Stringmasters had a slot in the tuner pan so you could remove the tuners, one side at a time.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 8:03 pm    

Hmmm - Didn't know there was a difference. Mine's actually for a 400, and the whole strip pops out at once.
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 5:17 am    

Hey Jim, most of the fender guitars had these where they come out at once, have you been able to reach Bobbe Seymour at steel guitar Nashville to see if he has them?.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 7:05 am    

Jim,
I think on the 400 if you remove the tuner pan you should be able to get at the tuners.
Erv
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 7:52 am    

Erv - I have a spare pan and a body, changer etc. I need one (really two) strips of tuners, or tuners that will fit, to build this project out. So the tuner pan is loose with one set of tuners that aren't in great shape - I'd like to replace all 8.
Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 12:33 pm    

Hey Jim check stewart Macdonalds site again, they have Grotoh tuners that are all connected together that will fit most fender guitars you may have to cut two of them off to leave 4, and this can be done to fit them to the pan, you will not see the cut because it is inside the guitar. I think the number is 1954, they cost $57.00, I have done this to tuners to get the right amount of tuners.