| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons LKV
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 2:27 pm    

I'm just getting around to installing a LVK Kit on my P/P and I'm confused why there are three drop rods. I pretty sure that two are for lowering the Bs to Bb, but what's the third one for? If it's some kind of return gizmo, why wouldn't the nomal return springs do the job?
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 3:14 pm    

Garry, if you got a kit with three rods one was probably for use as a stop. If you have a stop bracket and stop bolt to mount on the body under the lever you would not need the third rod. You can look at the stop on the LKR and see how you could use a third rod for the stop.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 17 February 2006 at 03:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 17 February 2006 at 03:53 PM.]

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 5:06 pm    

Garry,
In the tunings section, PF lowers the 10th string B to A with the third change on that pedal.

Bill
http://b0b.com/tunings/franklin.htm
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 5:51 pm    

Jerry, I think I see what you mean...there are two set collars on another rod that restric the movement of the LKR knee lever(actually on my old Emmons it was on the RKR).
This is different; the kit did include another bracket that is used as a stop, sort of an L shape with a set screw at the top.
Look at the diagram they sent me and tell me what you think the 3rd rod is for and if I really need it.

[This message was edited by Garry Vanderlinde on 17 February 2006 at 10:01 PM.]

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 10:37 pm    

Garry, the diagram shows the 3rd rod to serve as a stop to keep the lever from falling down. It is on a bellcrank on the cross rod and the other end is locked solid on the lower return spring bracket. Since the hookup is for lowering you don't need to use the 3rd rod and waste a bellcrank. Just hook up the two lowering rods and on the BACK side of one of the bellcranks, put a set collar that will lock the lever from falling down. The push rod is locked in by a collar behind the return spring bracket. You just place a set collar on one of the push rods as close as you can to the bellcrank swivel and yet allow a slight amount of slack in the lever before it starts to move the push rods. You will need to use the "L" bracket and bolt travel stop underneath the lever. If you need more help you might email me.
Jerry
Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2006 11:29 am    

Quote:
to keep the lever from falling down

Thanks Jerry, I can see how it works now that you pointed it out.
Would there be any advantages to using the 3rd rod instead of set collars behind the bellcranks of the lowering rods?