| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Machine Aluminum Buffing
George King

Woodlawn,Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 6:37 pm    

How do you guys recommend for reliable machine buffing of pedal bars and endplates?Thanks George
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 7:09 pm    

Take them to a professional metal polisher. Look up "Metal Polishing" in the phone book. They have the right equioment to do the job right and the cost is very reasonable. You'll be amazed.
George King

Woodlawn,Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 7:24 pm    

Thanks Kevin, Does anyone know of anybody in the nashville area who does this.I want somebody reliable so parts don't come up missing, ect....
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 10:17 pm    

George, if you can get the parts off the guitar send them to me here in Buffalo and I'll have it done for you. Its not that expensive. They come back new.

[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 12 February 2006 at 10:18 PM.]

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 6:10 am    

George I would check with Bobbe Seymour I was at his shop a couple of years ago and I did see one of his employees buffing out some scratches on the pedal bar of Steels that Bobbe rebuilds completly.He is right there in Hendersonville Tn.
Sam White
Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 2:15 pm    

Do a search for "buffing" in this forum. It will bring up a lot of discussion on this subject.

Les

------------------
Strat,Tele
Dekley S-10

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 3:35 pm    

George, email Bob Knight and ask him. There is a place out in Peagram that buffs and polishes the end plates, necks, pedal bars and etc for most who build or restore guitars but I don't know the name. They have or had the contract to buff all the stuff for Peterbuilt in Nashville. They are reasonable. Jimmie Crawford used them for his endplates and they shine like a mirror.
George King

Woodlawn,Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 12:36 pm    

Thanks Guys...George
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 4:30 pm    

Hey guys, there is more to aluminum polishing than you may think. I know, I used to do it. Nasty work. I worked 8 years at a chrome shop. Anything that was to be plated had to be MIRROR polished, so that the plating will not have lines in it. If you are going to polish/buff out a casted end plate, you are in for a ride. Some of the old casted aluminum parts are what we used to call "sand casted", meaning that there were little pits throughout the casting. First the parts are usually belt sanded. Then, you need to use a lot of grease when doing the first polishing(before buffing), lest you drag those pits into drag lines. The actual process is usually 4 steps. But, I made my stuff look as good as chrome. Stainless steel also buffs out brilliant, if done correctly...........Just a little trivia in case you are ever on "Millionaire"

------------------
I'd rather be opinionated, than apathetic!

Ron !

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2006 9:54 pm    

Curt,I couldn't agree with you more.When I build my steels in The Netherlands I had a foundry that made my parts(sandcasts).When this man poured my casts he always made sure that he had the right material,temperature and most of all no fluctuations in temperature.The slightest wind could ruin his whole work.I had several keyheads,pick-up brackets that were completely worthless.
After that he buffed the parts himself.I could do it but it was cheaper to let him do it.When you buf pup-brackets or keyheads it's not that hard to get them right but when you start on End-plates for example then you are in a different area.First of all you need a BIG buffingwheel and not a little one like you can buy in a "do it yourself" store.After that you will have to get yourself a good grease to polish.And after that a lot....and I mean a lot of time on your hands.Most people think that they can do it in a couple of minutes but I can tell you right now that that's not the case.It's hard and very dirty work.
And not without danger to.

Like most people on here said......if you have parts to be buffed....let someone do it that knows what they are doing.

Ron

------------------

Click here to E-mail us.

Karen Kaylee Records
KRS D-10 8x7, KRS SD10 4x6 EMMONS P/P S10 3x5 Peavey Session 400 LTD, Peavey Ultra 15" Peavey All Tube 15"
Fender Twin Reverb Hilton Volumepedal Hilton Sustain