| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud model 6139.. info?
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 8:22 pm    

Just made a deal on a nice one.. I originally thought this was a rack and barrel, but its not... Its a double raise single lower changer.. Pre Pro I..Its an S 10 w/ 3 and 3, aluminum neck pocket..

A few questions... 1>>will later changers fit if I want to go to a double lower setup?.

I don't imagine parts will be a major problem and I already have located much of what I'll need.. 2.> any other oddities with this older changer system that I'm not aware of??..
3> Will it hold tune better than the Super Pro and Pro III changers I have had in the past?.....4> If I want to just change one or two fingers to a double lower. will that be a major problem??..

Ricky, or anyone else that is familiar with this design, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this one.. She's a real honey, and the price is reasonable enough that I have NO fear buying this one.. Its one of those "you can't lose" kind of deals that happen all too infrequently...bob
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 8:56 pm    

What's a "aluminum neck pocket??"; do you mean it's a metal/aluminum tailpiece that the axle goes in that holds the changer?? as opposed to the even earlier wood neck wraps around the changer??
(i'm pretty sure that's what you mean).
Yes this is a fine sounding/playing Bud. This changer finger is much better than the later model; as you have a lower arm and a raise arm that are slotted and they run horizontally to the ground and are pivoted to a vertical arm that pivots the top piece. So yes; adding a double raise double lower; would require removing the raise and lower arm housing and basically making a new cage with bottom plate and opening up the endplate hole; to handle that changer finger(mucho hassel considering you have the best sounding finger sho-bud ever made right now.
I would suggest if you want to lower a string twice; is to run one lower rod with barrel tuners behind how ever many times you want to lower it...and put in a rod with the metal hex end that Coop and I made for the barrel tuning systems; then you can use your same open end hex driver; but engage the barrels with the knee or pedal first; to turn the barrels.
The Sho-bud single-10 your talking about, was made with the first "The Pro-II"'s that came out; somewhere in the '74 area and then came "The Pro-II Custom" with it's double/double in the '76 area...>so yours with round front would be at the start of that; or if square front..back end of that time frame.
You might do a search for my tricks with the springs for the shobud; as I can't find it; and that will open up to you; how you can actully time pulls on this older system.
Oh and yes; this old finger holds MUCH better tuning than the later super pro/pro III; as those had the sissor fingers that the lower arm pushed the top piece that was made out of crap and eventually formed a groove; and is the reason of a instable sitting/returning position.
Is this why you called my house and didn't call back>>>>????ha.....
There ya go in a nutshell.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 13 February 2006 at 09:02 PM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 9:01 pm    

Found it> http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/009167.html
Read that Bob...you'll love it...ha.
Ricky
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 9:30 pm    

yes Ricky.. called a few times actually!.. When I get the guitar, I'll probably bug you for info about it.. Hope thats ok..

The 2/1 changer is about all I will need except maybe on one string... I hope she stays in tune... Sure is sweet looking,.. I am not to familiar with this setup... my other Buds were rack and barrel, 2/2 and 2/3...never had a 2/1 ... I'll figure it out... maybe.... thanks Ricky.... bob
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 10:44 am    

I bought a 6139 new in January 1974. It had the rack and barrel mechanism. I'm pretty sure it was double raise, single lower too. It had 3 pedals and just 1 knee lever.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 11:50 am    

b0b
The rack and barrel mechanism was "infinite" raise and lower, but only had two changer rods, one for the upper (raise) rack, and one for the lower (flatting) rack. Examples are the Baldwin Crossovers and the Professionals made until the Pro-# series came out

You might be thinking of the two-hole bellcrank models, which came after the r&b design and is what I understand John Coop is manufacturing to such great acclaim.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 14 February 2006 at 11:52 AM.]

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 12:25 pm    

Hey Bob C.,
Just cant stay away from them Buds can you? I m sure you will love the sound of this one! Good luck with this one my friend!

------------------
SHO~BUDS,FENDER AMPS& GUITARS, TUT TAYLOR RESO'S

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Michael Barone

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 5:28 pm    

Bob, My Pro-1 is a model 6148. Double Raise/Single Lower also. Ricky’s instructions on barrel tuners is exactly what I did. I followed Ricky’s advice after I got bell cranks and barrel tuners from John Coop. Once the barrel tuners are set, I found they are very reliable. Only had to tweak them when a new set of strings go on. My Sho-Bud stays in tune for 2 or 3 days, including stops. It’s a different model, but I thought I would just comment on the superiority of John Coop’s parts.

Mike
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 7:41 pm    

Hi Bob. Does this mean you've traded away the Willy, out into the freezin' cold? really, tho, sounds like a good one to go with. Hope it's your 'Cuppa' ..JZ
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 7:40 am    

Jon.. still have the Willy.. Its a sweet little guitar.. I have had several guys ask about it, but no solid "I'll take it" offers.. at least not any offers I would accept... Probably keep it ... or not... lol.. I sense a lot of apprehension from prospective buyers because its an "old" keyless design, and the finish is not that great// It looks good but is certainly not pristine.. Its a players piece for sure... bob
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 10:21 am    

Glad to hear you got another 'Bud, Bob. I've got a 1970 Professional that I love. I just paired it with a '65 Fender Twin re-issue that I got a great deal on and I'm really diggin' it.

JC
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2006 5:24 pm    

Herb wrote:
quote:
b0b
The rack and barrel mechanism was "infinite" raise and lower, but only had two changer rods, one for the upper (raise) rack, and one for the lower (flatting) rack. Examples are the Baldwin Crossovers and the Professionals made until the Pro-# series came out.

I'm almost certain that mine had 3 racks per pedal - two for raises and one for lowers.