| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ed Fulawka
Jack Latimer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2006 4:01 pm    

I just spent the afternoon with Ed Fulawka. What an incredible man!!! I took a volume pedal in for him to look at which he fixed for no charge because he stands behind his product 100%, but after seeing his shop and this man's true passion to produce the very best steel guitar I'm now preparing to order a new guitar from Ed. Up until today I had never met or even known Ed's product or reputation. It's truly amazing how much care and attention to detail this great man puts into his product. I'm almost afraid to post this message because someone might order one of his guitars ahead of me and leave me waiting even longer to get a Fulawka, but I feel I owe it to all pedal players to recognize and investigate the Fulawka name. This is an instrument that surpasses the very best on the market, because it is one of the best out there. I am very fortunate to live within an hours drive of Ed's shop and he spent the entire afternoon showing me how he builds his guitars. He puts QUALITY plus into each and every personally hand machined piece of his instuments. Since there are many around the world who have dealt with Ed, I just want everyone who hasn't had the opportunity to see how he works first hand, that this man is truly one of the THE BEST!!! The Fulawka Pedal Steel is incredible.

[This message was edited by Jack Latimer on 10 February 2006 at 11:55 AM.]

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2006 5:27 pm    

Ed Fulawka is a gem and his guitars are gorgeous!

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden guitars, 70's Fender Twin, etc.

Harry Johansen

Kvalsund.Norway/Valencia Dumaguete,Phils.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2006 11:04 pm    

Yes i agree.I'm one of the happy Fulawka owner since 98.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2006 2:00 am    

Wish I had one, super instruments.
Ed mixes a super barbique spice too.

[This message was edited by David L. Donald on 11 February 2006 at 02:00 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2006 8:09 am    

Jack,
What is the wait on a new Fulawka now?

I feel very fortunate in being able to pick up a like-new Fulawka from Al Brisco a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with you that it is really a Cadillac guitar.
I relate it to a Sho~Bud on steroids!
Erv
Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2006 3:16 pm    

In a world of good, better, and BEST(comma)One of THE..if I had my 'druthers' ...
Stephen Dorocke

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 8:14 am    

Yup, Eddie and Irene are great people. As a new steel player in '95, I went to the St. Louis show shopping for a steel. I spent the entire weekend examining just about every guitar and talking to all the builders, and by the the end, it was clear to me that his guitar far surpassed any other in the building, mechanically and "ezzthetically", and Eddie was the friendliest and most personable.. in my humble opinion. I ordered one shortly thereafter, and went to pick it up about 6 months later. I spent a week up at the Fulawka estate, up in beautiful Penetang, and became close friends. He also put me to work in the shop, which gave me knowledge and insight into the workings of the instrument so that I can maintain the instrument myself. But so far, that original instrument has not had ANY issues after countless, consistant gigs around town and on the road. Solid. Couldn't, wouldn't play anything else. Except the violin..... For some reason, he's got a picture of my rig on his home page. It's great to see Eddie getting some "props" here on the forum, as it sometimes seems to me that he's under-appreciated. From myself, a heartfelt salutation to the master.
JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2006 1:43 pm    

Man, I'm telling you, they're gonna bury me with mine. The finest around, I'll tell you that. I'm thinking about getting another.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Fessenden D-10 8&8
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

http://www.nrpsmusic.com/index.html

Jack Latimer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 4:17 pm    

Great to see your comments about Ed and his guitars. I think anybody could easily see, feel and hear a huge difference in a pedal steel and a great pedal steel if they just spent a little time with Mr. Fulawaka. (I'm beginning to realize that sometimes the big names get too much attention.) Ed is like a "yet to be discovered artist" at his trade. I've never seen anyone put so much attention to detail into something. I think if guitar building was in the Olympics, this man would take gold. (Those who have his guitar now know what I'm talking about.) By the way, the wait time on the guitar is up in the air. Ed mentioned to me he's very busy, but because I'm willing to choose a body that he had already started, and because he knows how frustrated I am with my current steel he's going to speed things up for me. I hope to be sitting down to my own Fulawka in a couple months. I think Ed is the best person to answer the question about waiting time.
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 7:10 pm    

Glad to see a few good "plugs" for Ed's wonderful instruments. We met him in St. louis when he made his first trip to the convention. Chet Gibson kept pulling me over to Ed's display, raving about the way they were built! We became instant friends and many of you know the history of the "goings on" each year in the "Fulawka" room! About four years ago, several of us had a plaque prepared honoring Ed's contribution to the Developement, dating back to the late 40's. Scotty was kind enough to let us present it to Ed and Irene on the main stage in the Convention hall. Ed is among the pioneers of pedal steel, along with and equal to Mr. Shot Jackson, Mr. Bigsby and others who gave us this incredible instrument. We continue to enjoy the most beautiful music this side of Heaven because of Ed Fulawka and others like him. We love you Ed and Irene! Lonnie and Johnnie Portwood.
Jack Latimer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2006 1:31 pm    

Lonnie: Ed showed me that plaque you mentioned. He's very proud of it. I'm very excited that Ed is now working on my new guitar along with several others in his shop.