| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fills and Turnarounds - Comments Please
Alan Sim

Lancashire, U.K.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 8:13 am    

Hi All

Recently,I asked the best way to learn Fills and Turnarounds,and the majority of the replies recommended I play along to commercial CDs,tunes I know etc.

OK,Here's one I've done today,It's probably not technically perfect,but I would like to know if I am doing it right,and if not,tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I guess the real question is,if I played it like this in your band,would it be OK?

One last point,as some of you know,I have not been playing long,this is week 8,and constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Download here
www.asvr14.dsl.pipex.com/HelpMeMakeItThroughTheNight.mp3

Regards and Thanks

Alan

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 8:30 am    

That's really good playing for 8 weeks.......some can't play that well after 8 months. I was particularly impressed by your descending run at the end of the bridge.

You're going to be a hot player in a very short period of time if you keep up this pace of learning.
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 10:31 am    

Hi Alan, every time you post you seem to have made another giant leap forward. It's pretty exciting hearing someone make such rapid progress - this far outstrips my efforts on the instrument over the last 7 or 8 months! I always try to give you some construcive criticism but I'm happy to say this time I'm at a loss. You need advice from the pro's not from another newbie.

Did you say wether you've played your steel out with a band yet?
Jack Latimer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 11:29 am    

I've been playing for about a year and you just made me depressed. Good job.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 11:31 am    

Alan; here is a great instruction that I think could help you a lot. http://www.bobhoffnar.net/intonation.html
It is important to learn proper intonation in tuning and in playing along with music.
Ricky
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 1:34 am    

That's amazing for 8 weeks. but I think that there are a few spots where you played while the singer was singing, where you shuld have laid out.

I think you're ready to start playing in a local band, and should join one as soon as possible.
Larry W. Jones

Longmont, Colorado
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 2:26 am    

Alan, for security, go ahead and "take it to the bank" (ref your profile). Good job. Now I'm depressed too, but hopeful when I hear your progress.
Alan Sim

Lancashire, U.K.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 3:31 am    

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments.I think I'm on the right track,just need to be a bit more professional about it.

As regards playing in a band,I would feel better about doing that when I have a bit more experience,maybe a few more weeks.

When playing to a CD,I am still not sure when to play and when not to,I have heard tracks where the Steel plays all the way through (Winnie Winstons "She Thinks I Still Care")being one example.

I'll keep practicing,if you'll tell me where I go wrong.

Thanks

Alan
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 3:36 am    

For 8 weeks it's really excellent.

Purely from a constructive point of view, the only tip I can give you that I think may help, is that you don't seem to be using your volume pedal. the lack of it's use is especially noticeable when you do the Gliss' between different inversions of the same chord.
The first occurrence of what I mean is after the words 'Soft against my skin'
I also tend to agree with Mike about 'Crashing' the vocal.. Play in the gaps with movement and if you feel you must play UNDER the vocal, be static. i.e. one sustained chord or note "No Movement'

------------------
Quote:
Steel players do it without fretting

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 3:37 am    

Alan , for 8 weeks I would say you are clearly on the right FAST track...

It is clear you have a very good understanding of the bouncing from no peds to AB positions and the use of the Relative minor with the A pedal...

The important thing from this point going further (it may take more than 8 weeks) is to take what you are doing and RE PHRASE it in different positions on the fretboard for different tonalities as well...

Add "A Ped/ F lever" phrases, 1st and 2nd string phrases etc.., don't allow yourself to get locked into the box that many of us have done thru the years...

Don't be afraid to jump up to the Octave either...

Great job..stay with it...

As far as playing in a band I would certainly advise doing that..but do not do what I did back in the early 70's ..I told some local working players that I actually could play , I knew like 3 songs, but could jam in the AB pedals mode etc..they hired me for a weekend gig..

But I got fired on the first night !!

They told me to go home and learn how to play another 50 songs or so...and I did...

About a year later we all hooked up again and I worked on and off with the same guys for probably 10 years..I began working beween 3 different bands for easily 3 or 4 years...

Don't jump into the fire to quick..If you can Jam with some local players and even take on some small gigs go for it...Do not be afraid to tell them you are an early player...understand what your skill set is vs the bands skill set...

You will be fine....

oh, and if you have the opportunity to attend any seminars from one of the PRO's..do it..even if you have to drive a few hundred miles .

thanks for posting...

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 10 February 2006 at 03:50 AM.]

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 5:27 am    

Hey Alan, I think your comin along fine and it gives me incentive to keep practicing when I hear another newbie makin such good progress. Keep on pickin bro.
Alan Sim

Lancashire, U.K.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 1:55 pm    

Hi Guys

Just to say thank you for the comments and the advice,which I shall be acting on very soon.

I haven't got to use the Levers yet,just been feeling my way with the Pedals,so I guess the Levers are next.

Thanks

Alan
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2006 4:19 pm    

Add one more to the "well on his way" catagory.
Go get em Alan...

Bill
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 12:37 am    

Allen try the F lever go 3 frets up from the open position and from G 3 frets up you are still in a g chord with some strings, this gives you a place to hear the same chord with different voicings.
The D lever that drops the Es, A half tone 2 frets back gives you a 7th chord, From a down pedal position A & B hit on the 3rd fret 5-6-8 slide back 2 frets let off the A pedal and add the D lever, this is a much used movement, let up on all pedals and you are in F. This works on all down pedal frets and resolves to the chord just behind the one you started on, as in 10 fret G -C,
5th fret D-G. This moves up and down the fret board.
These moves will open up a whole world of playing that is much used, on every song.

ernie
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2006 10:09 am    

Alan, The thing that always worked for me was to go out and listen to different bands and when I found one that I really liked (their personalities and music), I would tape a few of their sets on a small handheld recorder and practiced the music until I was confident of the chord changes and parts I would put in. Then I would approach them and ask if I could jam one night if I just laid back and put a little steel when they called for it. I cannot remember one time when this did not work for me. I always got the job and became a better player for it.

------------------
Rick
Kline U-12, Session 500, Goodrich L-10k