| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6: fast runs, little pedal work or lots?
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2006 9:35 am    

Hello,

I have been listening to the amazing Redneck Jazz Explosion record, and was wondering if those incredibly fast runs Buddy does were done mostly with just mind-bendingly good bar movement, mostly with pedals or a little of both? Sounds to me like it's mostly bar movement with some rad chords using pedals now and then, but am just getting started on the C neck and need all the help I can get.

The music on this album is just awe-inspiring, and every steel player should hear it some way or another. Gatton's playing had me laughing out loud it's so over the top.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post.

Gerald
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2006 9:42 am    

Answer D - All of the Above!
JE:-)>
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2006 11:55 am    

Buddy's playing on RJE contains all of the elements you describe... passages that start with scalar bar motion suddenly resolving into chords that then get changed with pedal action... bar movement of entire chords with pedal action to create the chord for the scale function of the key... as Jim said- all of the above and more... plus that inimitable '70's phase shifter...

and yes, Danny Gatton was truly a force of nature.

If you are just getting started on C6th then I can understand it seeming overwhelming... it's the premier steel guitarist pretty much at the top of his game circa 1978

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 07 February 2006 at 12:00 PM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 12:18 pm    

Gerald,

I'm not familiar with the album. Some players don't use pedals, but generally speaking, many C6 players to some degree combine pedal work in their single note solos.

How much is a matter of personal preference, but IMO, you should assume that pedal work is always a possible part of your repertoire of techniques. It might be your only way to get to a note in a fast run or you might want to let several notes run together as an arpeggio.

I have a book of Doug Jernigan tab for his "Jazz By Jernigan" CD, and he uses pedals in his soloing.

I'd be glad to show you a few things if you want to come by by house some time. I live in Queens, 1/2 mile off the LIE. My e-mail is jr.lampert@verizon.net or phone 718-275-3909. .. Jeff

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 2:51 pm    

Jeff,I wish I could come too,by the way what is LIE.

[This message was edited by John Sluszny on 08 February 2006 at 02:52 PM.]

Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 4:18 pm    

LIE ...Long Island Expressway..

------------------
Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2006 11:51 am    

Gerald,

It can be surprising to see how much phrasing can be done on the standard C6th neck (with the "D" on top) without the use of pedals.

A couple of the many tunes and phrases that can be played without pedals on C6th are Buddy E's "4-wheel drive" (played in C), Charlie Parker's "Donna Lee" (played in Ab), and even some great solos like Weldon Myricks break on George Strait's "Right or Wrong". The entire solo can be played without pedals. Alot of times the illusion, even to steel players, seems to make one think that pedals are being used, when they aren't.

Here's one more example:

A fast whole tone scale variation (usually played when one goes from a I to a IV chord) can be played without pedals by holding the bar one fret to the right of your root chord, playing the 4th and 5th strings, and then moving up 2 frets at a time from there until you reach the IV chord.

------------------
Mark Wayne

www.authenticrecording.com

[This message was edited by Mark Krutke on 09 February 2006 at 11:54 AM.]