| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup Swap in Marlen, I have to tear this down..Really?
Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 3:28 pm    

I am interested in trying some different PU in my Marlen. So....I have to remove the changer and rods etc just to do this?. Good lord.

I tried removing the stock pickup and took out the 3 height adjusting screws then found out it is mounted to a plexi plate larger than the pickup cut out on the changer. Things west south from there as the 3 suspension
screws under the holes went astray in the cavity etc. I removed one side on the pickup to plate connection through the back access hole, The bolt shim fell out. I managed to get the 3 springs out. the pickup is loose and I can't get to anything in ther to tighten. Terrible concept really.
Even to fix this mess do I really have to tear this down? Or, should I just cut out the old plate and make something that would work well for the stock and any swaps I might want to try?

I have this thing playing well and in great tune with wonderful action. I'll be darned if I am going tear it apart.

Ideas

joe

Last edited by Joseph Myers on 15 Aug 2019 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 3:53 pm     Pictures say lots of things

A few pictures (top & bottom) of your Steel Guitar will tell us a great deal about your problems...

Britain
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2019 9:34 pm    

If I remember correctly, I removed the pickup on my Marlen by cutting the plexiglass plate, which allowed me to pick the broken pieces out through the pickup hole.

Then I made another pickup mounting plate, this time making sure that I could fit it /remove it through the pickup hole
Joseph Myers

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 3:47 am    

Thanks Richard.

That's what I was intending to do but I was able to get the pickup off the plate, which wasn't easy, They screw in from the bottom side of the plate and only one is accessible.

I then was able to keep the original plate, reinsert the height adjustment 3 springs, and use velcro to attach the pickup to the plate. This also allowed me to realign the pickup more accurately as originally the pole pieces were not lined up.

Also, trying a new pickup should be much easier now.

I was considering a narrow George L's 10-1. How would this compare to the original split coil Marlen? And...will it fit?

thanks for the help
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2019 11:01 pm    

Todd Clinesmith made me two Stratospheric clone pickups for my Marlen. Very happy with them. I hear ya on the pickup swap though, not an easy thing.

I just tore apart and reassembled the back neck this week because some fingers were sticking. Not how I'd hoped to be spending my days off, but i just love the sound of it, so it seems like a small price to pay.