| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume Pedal
Paul Maxey

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 11:26 am    

Would anyone give me a recommendation on what might be the best volume pedal for a pedal steel?

Thanks,
Paul
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 12:35 pm    

It's a matter of taste.
Some folks like a passive pedal and some like an active.
Hilton makes a nice active pedal with pedal steel in mind.
I would recommend the Fractul Audio pedal for a modern passive pedal. - Good mechanics.
I personally use an old passive cast Sho-bud pedal with a modern Goodrich pot in it ($40.00 ouch). I modified the mechanics so the pot shaft is supported far and near. I feel this has greatly extended the life of the pot since there is no cantilevered force on the shaft.
The active pedal has the advantage of providing custom response curves, however needs power like a wall wart. The passive is simpler for this reason.
Most active pedals use a light beam which ois low maintenance and most passives use a potentiometer turned by a string or a rack and pinion gearing system. The string is a bit difficult to set up right, ie, ensuring you get good travel, yet provide mechanical stops so the pot itself isn't the stop which leads to short pot life.
Some might argue the active inserts yet another gain stage and opportunity to alter your tone.
That's my 10 cents.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 12:56 pm    

one word: TELONICS!
Paul Maxey

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2019 2:20 pm     Volume pedal

Thanks Jim.... great info
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 2:26 am    

If you have unlimited budget then the Telonics.
Otherwise a Hilton. No pot to go bad and no string to break.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 4:18 am    

The Goodrich OMNI is a great pedal. It’s a hybrid of sorts, pot pedal with electronics that can be switched off if you want to bypass. Runs forever (1000 hours+) and can also run from AC with the detachable wall wart.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 4:18 am    

The Goodrich 'Omni' has a few unique features that I really enjoy. The pedal will function as either passive or active with the simple flick of a switch. The active section will also function on a 9V battery for an extended period, useful for times when a wall socket is not readily available on stage. The one con that I could mention is that when utilizing the wall wart, the cord is rather short (around 3') so a power strip is almost a necessity..Sorry for the redundancy, appears that I was typing at the same time as Roger.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 4:36 am     volume pedal

I have a Goodrich 120, have had two Hiltons, an Omni, and tried a Telonics. I now have a Lehlie 90 and it is the winner hands down for me.
Paul Maxey

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 5:25 am     Volume Pedal

Thanks a bunch gentlemen. Great I go. I have a Hilton, but am not totally happy with it. Being do new to this, your feedback is do sincerely appreciated!

Paul
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 6:08 am    

It would be great if you could locate other local steel players and try out their volume pedal collections. There are individual preferences that might make one volume pedal far preferable to another for a particular player. Sound wise you might find that the Lehle, Telonics and Hilton sound the same but have a different feel and form factor. A pot pedal may or may not sound better to your ears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2019 7:09 am    

Paul,
I can't understand why you aren't happy with a Hilton.
It's one of the best available. It will go head and shoulders against a Telonics for a lot less money. Whoa!
Erv