| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BEST sound at low volume?!?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 10:06 pm    

Guys:

Can you guys tell me how to get the absolute best sound at a relatively low volume (I live in an apartment, so need to be considerate of my neighbors). Doesn't need to be dead quiet or I'd just use headphones.

I had a Peavey 30-watt tube amp, but that was too loud, so I got a Vox 10-watt tube amp, but that was still a bit too loud...

Thoughts?

Thanks, guys!!!!!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 5:07 am    

My favorite is a really basic, cheap 5 watter...Bugera V5. Four knobs...gain, volume, tone (which for my sound I dial all the way dark), and digital reverb that I use a light amount of only. Compared to my 30 watt Crate Vintage club (also tube), it has a much lower noise floor and is a lot more controllable at room volume. It has a 1 watt and 1/2 watt mode too in a switch on the back, but I don't usually use those...I'm not really TRYING to break up the power amp, with a steel.

Have used it for a variety of gigs, mic'ed if its a bigger thing, but usually we're not talking high volume.

My favorite way to enhance it is to biamp it with my class D GenzBenz shuttle bass amp...similar size and weight but tons of wattage and low end...dial the treble off the bass amp and just use it for a low bass boost. Not great if you actually play with a bass player, but for those low C13 Jules Ah See chords with the 070 C string...its awesome! Very Happy

The Bugera is less than $200 new, so it is reasonable. Won't be to everyone's taste but I'm quite happy about it...there are a lot fancier amps that I would fight with to get the right sound, so I like the simplicity of it.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2019 3:22 pm    

A dimed (or nearly so) Champ sounds great, and isn't terribly loud. Or a tiny battery-operated rig like the various Cubes from Roland (and others), especially the Mobile Cube.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 4:20 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
A dimed (or nearly so) Champ sounds great, and isn't terribly loud. Or a tiny battery-operated rig like the various Cubes from Roland (and others), especially the Mobile Cube.

Bobby Ingano habitually gigs with the Mobile Cube. First time I heard him at Dot's on Oahu the sound was fantastic. I asked him what he was using and he walked me over and showed me the Mobile Cube. That was the moment that positively convinced me that the old saying is true: tone is indeed in the hands!
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 8:41 am    

+1 on the MobileCube... I've had HOF'ers come up and ask what I'm playing through... it has a natural compression when cranked, and a very nice stereo reverb. Six AA's power it, or you can use a regular BOSS 9v adapter (more compression) or a 2a adapter like the OneSpot (more headroom).

It has a tripod/mic stand adapter on the bottom... when Kevin Brown came to play for us at TSGA upstairs, he ran his whole set through the MC, accompaniment and all... I mic'ed the MC IIRC... it was wonderful. It's not that great for armpit guitar (it will do a decent metal tone) but make sure to play steel through it before you pass it up.

One tip... take the batteries out before traveling with it, the power button is too easy to push. I carry mine in an old Samsonite laptop satchel, it also has carry-strap buttons for a standard guitar strap.

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 9:00 am    

i'm very fond of this guy for home use.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2019 1:09 pm    

Princeton Reverb. Speaker type will not matter since you are playing so softly.
Amp volume on 2 1/2, treble on 4 1/2, bass on 3. Reverb to taste.
OD pedals for low volume crank.
Best living room amp ever,
J
Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2019 7:52 am     amp

I second Tal's choice. A wonderful portable amp with tons of capabilities, I have the cream colored THR-10, it has an amazing satisfying sound at low volumes. Smile Smile Smile
Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2019 9:43 pm    

OR you could modify your existing amp with one o' these:
https://londonpower.com/about-power-scaling-kits/

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 10:35 am     Re: amp

Dick Chapple Sr wrote:
I second Tal's choice. A wonderful portable amp with tons of capabilities, I have the cream colored THR-10, it has an amazing satisfying sound at low volumes. Smile Smile Smile

I'm planning on putting mine (THR-10) up for sale soon if anyone is interested. I pretty much only use my iPad for practice, these days.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 10:23 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=347977