| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Removing the Pan on a Deluxe: the Tuners Come Apart!’
Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 2:01 pm    

I discovered that one of the screws holding the nut on a recently acquired Fender Deluxe was broken off, and I had to remove the tuner pan to come at it. Who knew the tuning machines would come apart when I did that? Not me.

I got lucky, and only one actually came all apart, and I was able to get the broken screw out, get the tuner reassembled and everything back together with only a couple of the others halfway slipping apart.

If I have to remove a pan again, is there a protocol or best practice and how to do it without everything falling apart, i.e. have a big rubber band available to slip over there or something like that?
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 2:38 pm    

On my Deluxe (and my D8 and T8 ) the tuners are 4 on a strip, and they don't come apart. You probably have some kind of repaired thing going on there. The strip tuners are available again from Kluson. So are the 'ash tray' pans. Referring to the post-1954 Stringmaster series, not the older Custom/Pro/Deluxe or the very first SM's (26" ers).

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 4:35 pm    

Ah. Thanks
Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 10:02 am    

Stephen Cowell wrote:
On my Deluxe (and my D8 and T8 ) the tuners are 4 on a strip, and they don't come apart. You probably have some kind of repaired thing going on there. The strip tuners are available again from Kluson. So are the 'ash tray' pans. Referring to the post-1954 Stringmaster series, not the older Custom/Pro/Deluxe or the very first SM's (26" ers).

You are of course right, Cowellmeister.

I was tuning up this morning and one of the tuners give out. I took the pan off and they are Kluson style six in a row tuners with the mounting flanges cut off; string hole on side of shaft; not split shaft. I can get as off-brand set of six of those for $26 instead of buying a full replacement set of Kluson’s, so I’ll probably go that route. Although this guitar has already had the cavity enlarged (badly), so I probably would not have the fit issues some have complained about.