| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New GFI 12 Steel Copedent Help?!? A fun puzzle for you
Devon Teran

Kansas City
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 4:02 pm    

I recently snagged a steel of a deel on a GFI 12 string keyless (heheh, see what i did there?).

The steel sat unplayed for a long time and was so far out of tune and had corroded strings, so I just started over on strings.

The owner didn't know anything about pedal steel and the copedent definitely does not match the u12 from GFI.

At first I assumed that it was meant to be a u12 tuning and tuned it up, but I realize I actually have no idea. I don't know enough about what is out there to know what this steel might be rodded for. I'm taking it to Russ Wever here in a few weeks and he'll help me go through it. He asked me to consider whether I want to keep it in U12 or go extended E9. For right now, I just want to figure out what the previous player put it in.

Here's what I figured out. The steel was so far out of tune and needs adjustment that I didn't try to discern if the raises or lowers are intended as half or whole step. Here's a screenshot of my attempt to work it out:

--Updated Image--

What do you think my tuning is supposed to be?
What do you think the copedent is suppose to be?

[/img]

Last edited by Devon Teran on 19 Jul 2019 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 5:10 pm    

I think it's a Sacred Steel E7, with the E9th chromatics on the top 2 strings. But there are a few changes that don't make sense to me.

Are you sure that P2 is on the 9th string, not the 10th?

Kansas City
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 5:38 pm    

You're correct that the change is on the 10th string. I made a typo. I'm going to upload a corrected image as well.

Thanks!

I'll try tuning it up to that e7. I've actually been interested in trying out sacred steel as well. Any other funky changes you see in there?

I think I've seen you post other times about sacred steel and being able to access e9 changes. I've never played outside of e9 or dobro tuning for lap. Where would I find my home base in this tuning?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 6:39 pm    

Then the 10th string B raises to C# on P2. Makes sense now.

You see that P2 and pP are the A&B pedals of E9th, right?

P4 gives you the 9th string of E9th, and P5 turns the tuning from E major to E minor.

RKL gives your the 7th string of E9th. It's also used with P3+P4 to make a D6th.

RKR is your "F lever". LKL and LKV give you the notes on string 5 that you would normally get on string 2.

I'm not well versed in the other changes. I suspect that P7 is played with the right foot, along with RKL.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2019 8:32 pm     New GFI 12 string Copendent Help ?!?A fun puzzle for you

Here is Jeff Newman's U 12 tuning. Mr. Newman played Day set up. So the pedals is pedal 1-C, 2-B, 3-A, I have this on a GFI Key Head steel. It is E9th as far as A-B-C pedals and the knee levers to raise 4-8 and 11 to F, and Lower 4-8 to D# with string 2 raised to C# too. And the lower on string 5 to A#. The only big difference is the pulls on 10th string in E9th is on the 9th string. With a knee lever to bring it back to standard E9th D.

This may be of some help to you in setting up a Copendent. Good Luck in your choice of copendent.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 7:58 am    

Solved! It's Chuck Campbell's copedent.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=137521

Kansas City
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 8:26 am    

b0b wrote:
Solved! It's Chuck Campbell's copedent.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=137521

You’re amazing. I’ll tune it up today and see what I can figure out. I still don’t see the changes as quickly as I’d like to, or understand their uses. I’m still mostly a guitar player, but I’m enjoying figuring out.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2019 9:16 am    

Great job, b0b!