| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need later Frankllin A&B Pedal Rodding
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2019 4:43 am    

I'm having problems getting my A and B pedals to bottom out the same. Maybe changing the rodding will help?? Mine is set with the original rodding from late 81 when it was new (S/N 65).

Later ones may have changed and the reason I'm asking for rodding from a later model. I know he changed the neck mounting and the changer fingers slightly so rodding may have changed too.

OTOH, it may be me rather than the guitar as I have neuropathy in my feet.
Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 7:03 am    

Jack - for all you have done for the pedal steel community, I am surprised no-one has responded. I have no idea how to help you with this problem, but you have shared so much good information and knowledge, I hope someone responds soon.
Thank you for sharing your Petersen tunings. My guitar sounds great!!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 7:20 am    

Never thought of it making any difference on an all pull. Unless it was way out of time. I would just move the quick one down one notch or the slowest one up one notch in the bellcrank. Don't one have here. But have a friend who has maybe 10 Franks. The last one being the last double built. PM me for his name if you wish to contact him. The last one has never been touched since it was built.

b.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 8:09 am    

Bobby, I've changed some rodding and adjusted the pedal stops. Right now I think I have it. But to be fair as noted it may be me with my 81 year old feet rather than the guitar.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 1:17 pm    

Well in that case. Hope it's the guitar. They're easy to fix. Feet, not so much. I assumed you has already called Paul Sr. and heard the everyone's a little different speech. Which is true to a certain degree. I feel sure my friend will help if it comes to that.

b.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 2:34 pm    

I didn't call Paul, Sr, but I've heard it before from him. He did some adjusting right after I got it.

Mine is not a real early one, its S/N 65, but he told me its the first one that he used the "rounded" Franklin logo sticker on. It has the cut tail neck not pseudo wrap around like later models.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2019 7:56 pm    

It helps to check to see that the return springs are properly adjusted as they do fatigue over time requiring excessive adjusting of the tuning nuts throwing the timing all out of whack. Insuring that no raises are extending the lowering return springs is a good start.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 2:04 am    

Jim, its not a changer problem. Springs are properly adjusted for no "lift off". (the changer was disassembled and cleaned two years ago and the problem existed then). Its just mechanical adjustment, probably for my foot as I have neuropathy that was caused by chemo.
Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 3:39 am    

I hope you have your problem solved Jack. For the past year I've been constantly adjusting my A/B pedals, not thinking about the neuropathy factor... Hey... We're still out there, doing what we love, bad feet and all.. Laughing

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 4:23 am    

Fred, I've been messing with the A&B pedals for a long time (probably the last 8 years). Every time I think I have it, I don't. I hope this time its really adjusted for my feet.

You are right, still doing it after "many years" and our cancer battles.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2019 1:39 pm    

Well, things (A&B) worked OK this morning at Cowboy Church. My regular Monday evening gig will tell the tale.
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2019 3:18 pm    

Bobby Boggs wrote: "But have a friend who has maybe 10 Franks."

Did anyone else almost pass out when they read that?
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 1:57 am    

The new setup did good at my regular Monday evening gig. I just hope this is the "permanent" fix. I've done things before and it only lasted a short time. But, my foot neuropathy is at least partially to blame and not the guitar.