| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Choo Choo Cha Boogie Jeff Newman
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 12:40 pm    

I have just uploaded a clip of one of our hero's, Mr. Jeff Newman.
This is a 40's big band song.
I was very fortunate to play bass on this set.

If you let this video, let it be known not only on the forum (to keep it near the top) but also, please post a comment on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EiqHdlayFM

Enjoy,
Bill Ferguson
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Bruce Etter

Columbus, Georgia
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 4:49 pm    

Thanks for the clip, Bill. I was fortunate enough to attend Jeff's seminars in Saluda,SC including his final seminar there. He is missed by many.

By the way.....GREAT JOB on the bass!
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 5:47 pm     The Late & Great, Jeff Newman

Whoa! Whoa!
Hey, Bill, was beginning to think you had vacated we forumites, but here you prove us wrong with such a grand come back; Whom was that fine Bass player in the back ground? A fabulous job, Bill; thanks for giving Jeff's fine melody from the big band era. Any of his material is always just tremendous listening. We love you for bringing him back onto the Forum. Thanks, Bill, for all the efforts you put into your endeavors.. Regards, Bernie Laughing Smile Smile

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 5:48 pm    

Thanks Bill, that's great. Is jeff playing the "6th" side of a universal or is that a D10?
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 7:38 pm     Jeff's Guitar

Smile
Bill; I was wondering the same thing about the guitar which Jeff is playing; And is it a Franklin?He appears to be using the upper neck, so am presuming it might be a Universal 12 or 14 string. Mighty fine playing; no matter what kind of guitar it is.. Thanks, Bill..Bernie Shocked

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2007 11:02 pm    

Jeff switched to a S-12U 7 X 5 guitar in the 1970s and never looked back.
Roger Foreman

Nederland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 7:36 am    

What an absolutely great clip of a great player-- the guitar Jeff was playing in this clip was a Thomas--- I saw him play this guitar June Jam 1996
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 8:39 am    

Bill, thanks so much for keeping these great memories of our hero, (at least mine) Jeff Newman - alive!

JC
Dean Batye

California, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 9:41 am     Jeff Newman

Bill, thanks you for the great clip of Jeff and the great job on bass and Roy on keys,twin fiddles,great lead work,drums.I have a story on Jeff,he was at Barry Thomas to pick up two new steels,He was trying them out before packing them up.Carl Robinson and I were listening to Jeff play and I was sanging along,when Jeff got done I told him I could tell everyone that I had sang with Jeff Newman,every time I saw Jeff at a show he would ask if I was still telling that story.I miss him very much.Thanks again Bill.
Dean Batye
Concord,Ca.
Gerry Hogan

Burghclere, Hampshire, England
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 10:19 am    

Bill,

Thank you so much for posting this clip of one of my all-time heroes. This showed what a world-class player he was. Super backing band too - great bass playing! Very Happy I can only echo other postings here: thanks for keeping Jeff's superlative playing fresh in our memories. Very Happy

Notice how he always turned to look at the other soloists when it was their turn to play? Not just courtesy, but showmanship. As Buddy stated a couple of years back: he was a class act. He was absolutely unique.

Gerry
Bill Napier

Niceville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2007 10:26 am     Lead by Example

A very huge thank you, Bill, for this great video. You always present the finest selections, and we appreciate your every effort.

Jeff was, (and to me always will remain), one in a million, and his body language in the video shows just how much he cared about musicians and their talents.

I have attended many, many country concerts and steel guitar conventions, from Hank Williams, Sr. and his "Hadacol Tonic" sponsored road-shows, to the present day.

I can say with confidence, that it's not often that the "star" turns around to focus on the individual members of the house/backup band, and in the process, focuses the audience's attention on them, rather than him/herself.

That fly's against the human ego, and it shows the highest degree of self-assurance, professionalism, and kindness on the part of the individual, in this case, Mr. Jeff Newman. Jeff still lead the way!
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 6:51 pm    

Great playing! Dang, he was good. Smile
Russ Little

Hosston,Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2007 8:11 pm    

Great stuff Bill
Thanks for posting it.
You guys were having a great time
and it showed
Jim Hinton

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 8:15 am    

Seeing this video reminds me why I was so proud to call Jeff my friend.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 8:24 am     from 12 yrs. ago

I just watched this video again that Bill posted 12 yrs. ago. Jeff playing his Thomas U12 with the bang up back up band which includes our Bill Ferguson on the bass.

Note particularly Boomer Castleman on the Tele break. For those that don't know, Boomer is credited with inventing the palm pedals for guitar.

Great rendition of this tune. I never tire of listening to Jeff Newman's steel playing. Thanks Bill.
Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2019 10:09 am    

Jeff was a class act.
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2019 4:17 am    

Great clip, Bill - Jeff will never be forgotten.