| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Feels So Good (Mangione) guitar solo
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 24 May 2019 10:26 am    

Where do I even start with this? This is the guitar solo that changed my life when I was 14 and it was on the radio every 10 minutes. I thought the song was OK but the guitar solo was the shit! Coincidentally, I never really listened to the album version until recently and then saw Grant Geissman’s website with his transcription on it. I thought I’d give it a shot.

It’s hard but so valuable! Because of the nature of the lap steel and with the help of the brilliant C6 tuning, I can find my way around seemingly impossible guitar licks. Doing it at tempo without a lot of practice is a longshot, though, I clearly miss the mark in spots. But some of these ideas will work well in other solos down the road, I guarantee it. This was so much fun and it takes me back to high school. I can remember the marching band practicing Land of Make Believe the next year.

I played the bass line on the Clinesmith through an octave pedal into a looper and just practiced it for about two hours until I got close. I was practicing in my office and didn’t realized my turtle tank filter was so loud...hope it doesn’t make you have to take a leak!

https://youtu.be/1WWcxeQOWv8

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 3:08 am    

Cool! I remember this well - it was constantly on the radio. Chuck Mangione's album Land of Make Believe was a big influence on my high school listening. First time I'd heard the tune Little Sunflower which also made a big impression on 17 year-old me. To a large degree, we seem to get imprinted by the music we liked when we were young.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 26 May 2019 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 25 May 2019 8:13 pm    

Nice, you did a good job channeling Mangione's fluegel tone in the intro.

I have to ask, is that a Suzuki violin detuner right above the nut? Does it work well?[/u]