| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  HELP! Bar hand problem
Charles Turpin

Mexico, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2006 11:11 am    

I been fighting cancer and I had a stroke about two years ago. But I have still been playing my steel at home. Either between the stroke or playing my steel to much. My left hand after a while is starting to lock up on me. My Thumb curls under like I am holding my bar and wont cramp out of that position. I been exercising it and Playing about a half hour a day or till it locks up again. To see if can strengthen it. Is there any suggestions that i can do. To help recondition the muscles in my hand where i can keep on playing, without taking a break and just working on right hand technics, till it unfreezes and the feeling comes back. I just wondered if anyone else had that problem before and what they did for it.

------------------
MUSICO

Jeremy Williams in Spain
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2006 11:16 am    

¿Have you tried a "bottleneck" slide...worn over one of the fingers?

No idea if it would work, but just wanted to express sympathy, admiration and maybe a solution.

Jeremy Williams
Barcelona Spain
Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2006 12:14 pm    

Sounds a lot like carpal tunnel and/or tendonitis to me. Maybe some stretching (press the palm of your right hand against the fingers on your left and push them up & back towards yourself) or massage on your forearm would help. Also you might want to try a lighter bar? Good luck!
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2006 1:52 am    

Charles, I don't know if this will help you, but I practise with a PowerBall 5 minutes everyday. I'm a systems administrator and at the end of the working day used to have a painfull wrist, but after using this one, it's completely gone.
you can read about it here: http://www.powerballs.com/index.php

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2006 7:03 am    

Charles, a doctor may be able to prescribe a medication that will help while you are getting the hand back into shape.
I know that quinine helps prevent muscle cramps. I drink tonic water for that. Tonic water is a cheap source of quinine. Quinine pills are also available.
If possible, it might be a good idea to consult a medical doctor. The doctor may be able to prescribe a new drug for your condition.

------------------
www.phelpscountychoppers.com/steelguitar

Willie Crisel

Charlotte, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2006 10:11 am    

Here's a link to something that might help,,good luck. http://www.aguitarcenter.com/category.html?UCIDs=700623
Bill OConnor

Castle Rock, Washington, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2006 4:58 pm    

CHARLES SEND AN E-MAIL TO www.aguitarcenter.com they have bars with a control rings it slides right into a hole in the back of the bar your first finger slids into it.its adjustable I have one if i get a cramp i can take my thumb off and still control the bar.

------------------
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2006 8:49 pm    

Charles,

My forearm used to cramp all the time and I had no strength to even hold the bar after a few sets. I now do some simple yoga stretches for my wrist's and forearms and I also bought a heavier bar because I was always applying too much constant pressure with my left hand with the light bar to get a solid tone. You do not do this with a heavier bar and believe it or not I found it to be easier and more accurate to use.

------------------
Rick
Kline U-12, Session 500, Goodrich L-10k

Charles Turpin

Mexico, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 7:57 am    

Thanks for the replies for this i have a few good ideas now of what to try. But there is already to many pills i have to buy do to the cancer. I told my oncologyst about the problem but he said i will just have to try and build the muscles back on my own. SO i am going to try the quinine I never new that about it.I was also wondering Joe Wright has a course out, about strenghtening th right hand and learning diferent picking techs with the bar could they be helping my hand any or would they destroy the tendons. The dr seems to think that it would help especialy the bar moving forward would help. cause you are pushing the bar toward the thumb then releasing pressure away from the muscle when you are moving the bar down the fret. SO that is what i been working on so far. But to me it hasn't been helping any.As far as time length on building the muscle. That is why i am tring to find this out from other steel players. Then maybe i can get off this kick of just practicing 30 minutes a day.cause that is long as i got to play before it draws up. But thanks again for the answers to this problem.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 9:42 am    

When I went from 10-string to 12-string (and the bigger bar) I had the same problem. Had to stop playing for a couple of weeks. I don't remember ever having that probelm again after a few days off.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 10:02 am    

Hey Charles, so very sorry to hear of your situation, let me first say I sure hope you get past all this nasty stuff..

A few years back I had a 6 month war with my left arm and hand, the nerve system was crushed under a neck disk..or something like that..well it sort of healed itself ( thats what nerve routes do sometimes) to the point where I can function normally but I cannot stress my left hand.

So my hand does get tired and weak especially during a gig holding the bar.

I now use a 7/8ths bar ( lighter) and put it down sometimes in a song when I am not playing. Which is something we should all do anyway..put the bar down and NOT play sometimes.

I saw John Hughey do this several times at Saluda..and I thought , how novel, if JH can put the Bar down and listen during a song maybe I SHOULD !

This has really helped me for a 3 or 4 hour gig..just relaxing my left hand a few seconds here and there..

Hope you get better soon

t

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 07 January 2006 at 10:04 AM.]

Ken Yates

Vine Grove, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 11:45 am    

Sounds like you maybe trying to hold the bar to tight and causing the already weak muscles to fatigue faster, try holding the bar with just the index and middle finger tips and let the rear end of the bar float in the palm, I know sounds easier than really is, but it may help. Go slow and time/persistence will help. Don't give up,
Ken

------------------
Derby SD 10,,,Nashville 112,,,Hilton,,,RV-3

JW Day

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2006 12:06 pm    

Charles, if all else fails, talk to Brett Day in S.C
I'm sure he could give you some good pointers on this problem. He is on the forum quite often.
Joy Wofford

Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2006 1:15 pm    

Hi Charles, be careful of taking quinine IN ANY FORM until you ok it with your doctor. With your history of stroke, you may be taking medications that quinine will NOT interact with well. Even certain over the counter antacids can be dangerous to take along with quinine. Especially if you're on a bloodthinner, make sure you talk to your doc first.

As far as your hand problem goes, have you considered acupuncture? I know a lot folks don't believe in it, but try to have an open mind about it....for your symptoms, it may work miracles. BUT ASK YOUR DOC FIRST.

Joy
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2006 2:14 pm    

Charles, I'm sorry to hear about your situation.I have cerebral palsy in my left hand. Try a bar with grooves that isn't round. Maybe it'll work for you. Don't give up on the steel and don't worry about your techniques. Do the best you can. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10

[This message was edited by Brett Day on 08 January 2006 at 02:19 PM.]

[This message was edited by Brett Day on 08 January 2006 at 02:20 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2006 1:18 am    

Charles go to that site that Bill,O Connor showed you.I have a black rajah bar with the finger ring.If you think this will work,E-mail me with your mailing address.I will send it to you.No charge. Bama Charlie.