| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who does a great pickup rewind on a Ricky?
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2002 3:54 am    

I've got what I think is a Model B, 10 string Ricky that I want to have worked on. I was told it might be time to have the pickup rewound. You guys know a real pro in this area? Thanks!

Rick
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2002 4:39 am    

Forumite Jason Lollar specializes in steel guitar pickups ... check out his website:
http://www.lollarguitars.com/custom_pickups.htm
Alan Barley

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2002 11:43 am    

Rick, Bill Asher also does a great rewind on Rickenbacker pickups. He rebuilt a horseshoe pickup he put on a prototype lap steel I bought from him. Bill used the original magnets but built a new bobbin to accomodate the wider string spacing of his design. He found a coil of older copper wire to use in the rewind and rewound the pickup several times until he was happy with the sound. Check out www.guitartraditions.com for info on his shop.

Alan
Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 12:27 am    

The "we specialize in lap steels" on my site is no bull, except for the "we" there is no "we" just "me"..
I made a dozen Rick replacement bobbins in the last 8 weeks, In the last 6 weeks I made or repaired close to 50 lap or console steel 6,7,8 10 and 13 string pickups. Some of those were multiple quantitiy purchases for new manufactured 6, 7 and 8 string steels.
There is never a week that goes by that I dont have some kind of old lap steel pickup in or a complete instrument in for overhaul and usually there are 4 or 5 waiting in line.
When I think about it amazes me how many of these I get in for repair, replacement or purchases for new steel pickups so I try not to think about it!
I really like working on the old stuff and really enjoy making exact replements for steels with missing pickups when thats possible. I know I have done alot of work for people here so thanks for keeping me doing what I like.
Zayit

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 4:38 pm    

Jason, what can you do about a vintage Ricky pickup that is silent on the base side, but loud on the treble side? Is that a dead magnet or demagnification?

(It registers 15k, so I know there IS juice flowing...)
Jason Lollar

Seattle area
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2002 7:06 pm    

Sounds unusual problem, I will email you so we dont take up a bunch of room here.