| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Weird idea...??
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 10:14 am    

Gordon Black sent me an email for a Melobro (Dobro type body) built with a insert where the cone usually goes, with pickups installed, and a fixed electric guitar bridge...he likes the feel of his Melobro but needs a walk around electric like the Melobar but needs it left handed.

My thought, make the insert cut directly from an acoustic guitar top, with an acoustic guitar bridge and bracing, with the electric guitar pickups and controls all in the insert. I'm having such good results with the Melobro acoustic baffles that I think we can install acoustic guitar pickups in it and get a instrument with an acoustic guitar slide sound...and or, a electric guitar sound??
I know weird, too much time smelling fiberglass fumes...but maybe a cool sound...
Del Rangel

Clayton, NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 12:59 pm    

Would the "dobroism" electronics that you use in the electric steels work on something like this? Also, could you spread out a series of active acoustic pickups, as well as an electric pickup and then provide a couple of blender and tone pots? Lastly, what about something like the LR Baggs T-Bridge? It is a Tune-O-Matic style bridge with piezo pickups in each saddle.
mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 5:03 pm    

It just seems to me, that configuration totally loses any of the "bro" sound....I've never seen one, but does a standard Melobro use a resonator?....if so...what is the sense of using a guitar bridge?...like I said I'm not familiar with the design, so I may be totally off base...but it just seems like it'll be an acoustic/electic made of Fiberglass with the configuration changes you've stated....fill me in or give me a link to the standard melobro, so I can educate myself...and get a better idea of the concept....
Aloha,
Mike
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 5:29 pm    

Gordon's idea isn't new. National did this in the late 30's. They made electric conversions for metal body resonators that was a circular plate containing a bridge and pick-up. They called them "Silvos" and customers could send them back to the factory to electrify their "outdated" resonator guitars.
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 8:13 pm    

You wouldn't be trying to keep the Reso sound, just a possible acoustic sound, Melobro is at www.melobar.com. Interesting that National did that, I'll have to quiz Don.
Gordon Black

burns,oregon,usa
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2002 9:07 am    

My thinking on the modified Melobro is to allow me to get out from behind the steel a couple of times a night. I play in a high energy Country/Southern Rock band, and both the front man and lead player use wireless systems. On the rowdy songs they head out onto the dance floor and mix it up. I'd love to be able to take the slide-show out there with them.
On the more traditional songs I play steel and Dobro (Melobro), but occasionaly I need a purely overdriven lap steel sound. Hence the electric Melobro.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2002 9:23 am    

Quote:
I'd love to be able to take the slide-show out there with them.
Slide-show! What a cool phrase! I think most of us pickers could stand some of that. I remember all the showmanship that Rusty Young showed/shows with Poco!
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2002 11:48 am    

I think that's a great idea Gordon. Our singer and harp player both have wireless rigs and do the "walkabout" too. I sometimes feel left out sitting back there on stage. Course I probably couldn't walk and play at the same time so maybe that's a good thing.