| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1950 Fender price list
Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 2:22 pm    

Even 50+ years ago these steels sold for a pretty good price.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 3:26 pm    

Awesome post Mark! Thanks... I saved this image, and I'm sure many others will too.

Hey, according to THIS INFLATION CHART, a new Custom triple cost $2130.86 in today's dollars!

1950 was a great year... my favorite

------------------
My Site | Doug's Free Tab

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 3:33 pm    

The Fender steels sell for way less than they should especially compared to their new prices.

What I found amusing is the shure mic cost almost as much as the Fender Esquire. Foward to 2002 if you had one of those first 50 Esquires $25,000-30,000 easy maybe more a 1950 steel is lucky to bring $1,000.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 3:33 pm    

Quote:
a new Custom triple cost $2130.86 in today's dollars

Doug, that's about right for a custom made triple neck, I would say.

Without revealing prices, I will state that my "PA Reissue" T-8 (with 5 pedals) cost significantly more than $2130 in today's dollars. Of course, it's a Bigsby copy.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 4:16 pm    

It seems to me that the basic rules of suppy and demand come into play here. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the vintage guitar market and vintage steel guitar market are completely different... and I can understand why. Steel guitars have not been appreciated nor highly valued by most people since their heyday back in the 30's and 40's.

Because there are millions of guitar players in the world, there is a Huge demand for a limited supply of vintage guitars, hence the prices have gone through the roof. Demand for old steel guitars has always been low among musicians in general. Let's face it, the average musician doesn't care about old steel guitars (or new ones). I can understand why old steel guitars are still "reasonably" priced. We worship them, but we certainly are a minority within the music world at large. So to say that old Fender steel guitars are undervalued.... I'm not so sure. They're going up in price lately, but the value of anything is determined by what the public is willing to pay, and the musicians will pay big bucks for old Fender tube amps, old strats and tellys.... but old Fender lap steels?... guitar players rip out the pickups and put them into guitars!

------------------
My Site | Doug's Free Tab

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 11 January 2002 at 04:19 PM.]

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 5:35 pm    

Mark,
I know this is a Steel Guitar Forum, but I'm curious, what are the prices for the Broadcaster (aka Telecaster) and Esquire Spanish guitars? The prices aren't clear in the scan.

Also, does anyone know if people tended to pay list price back in 1950?
Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2002 6:02 pm    

The Broadcaster was $189.50 the 1 pickup Esquire was $149.50.

Its my guess people paid list price back then I dont think they used the inflated list price system like they do today.

As an example you can easily buy a Fender guitar that costs $870 list for $525 street price. I wish they would just use the price they sell them for instead of the fake retail no one pays.

[This message was edited by Mark Davis on 11 January 2002 at 06:04 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2002 7:54 am    

Mark
A manufacturer has the right to offer an item
as a "suggested" retail price. The retailer can offer his product at whatever the going
market price is in his marketing area.OR if he is alone in his marketing area,,,he can set whatever selling price he wants.

The retailer can even give you an instrument
for nothing if he feels like it. That is of course a "jest" but I have found many retail
outlets working on a very small profit margin.
They do have to meet payroll etc cost of operation,etc, I have had many discussions over the years regarding this very same question that you ask.

I know however,,,by far and large,,,,,the MUSIC dealers are much more flexible in their
pricing than in other area's of retail merchandising.

I always said that the Music retail business
was a "NON PROFIT" organization. Natch I was
kidding,,,,BUT,,,,,I have seen many retailers
sell a product for a $25.00 profit and that may have been on a $1000.00 dollar item,,,and
higher than that.

Manufacturers would like both ends of the spectrum,,,,they want the volume and yet that dont want their product "footballed" as it makes the product look "shabby".yet they want VOLUME,,,seems a bit unbalanced,,I have
tried to balance this problem when I was a Fender rep,,,when a product is introduced such as Fender was an unknown years and years back,,,,the retail dealers literally sold the guitars and amps at dealer cost,,just to start a demand for the product
but then the mold was cast and as business increased and Fender sold more product,,,,the
dealers wanted their cake and eat it as well.

Fender had to open more retail outlets as business improved and it was not fair to keep
other dealers from selling the product. That is called "Free Enterprize" and that is what
is great about this country.

We will always have this situation,,,but by far and large,,,I think the Music Business is far more tolerant and fair than many other
entities of business practice.

Fender was, and always will be Number (1) in my book for great products at a reasonable price. Look around and see what I mean.

I think Music dealers are more than fair in their pricing,,I always said musicians are
LOUSY businessmen,,,,they give away the store. Try buying a ROLEX watch at a discount
if you find one,,,,,let me know, A buddy
of mine is a ROLEX rep,,,,,they get full retail and if the retailer does not abide by the pricing ROLEX sets,,,,its ????,,,well I wont go into that,,,play your Fender and enjoy it,,,,you cant take the money with you
but you can take the FENDER anywhere.

------------------
Copyright(c) 2001 by
Jody Carver "All Rights
Reserved"

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2002 10:17 pm    

Jody hopefully you didnt take my msg in the wrong way as I would never say anything bad about Fender they are my all time favorite guitar thats all I have all Fender guitars bass and steel all Fender.

I have a great friend who is a Fender dealer and I usually get 40% off retail. He buys the stuff for 50% off retail.

What I was saying if no one really pays the retail list price why do stores use it? As an example I can get a guitar thats 870 list for $525 my cost why even say its 870 list just price it at $525. You dont go into a car lot and see a car thats priced at $20,000 retail and pay 12,000 40% discount out the door nor does the dealer pay $10,000 for the car which is 50% of retail. Or when I go to the grocery store and buy a dozen eggs for $2.50 I dont get a discount everyone pays the price they arent priced at $4.50 and discounted down to $2.50.

Thats my beef and its not only Fender its all guitar companies. But I still love Fender no matter how they price them.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2002 5:51 am    

Mark
Iam laughing at what you wrote,,not at you but Im laughing because you are right. I have always felt this way as you do.

But look at this,,,if your friend gives you that kind of a deal,,,thats great,,,40% off
of an item that wholesales for 50% off.

Thats the deal all around the country,,,I told you I knew music stores that worked on a $10.00 profit just to "kill" the sale for the competition.

They are not businessmen,,,but they somehow
survive. Music Man tried a pricing that was realistic and I tried to introduce it to the
music dealers,,,they told me to go to hell.

I never could understand their philosophy,,they would make the same profit and the customer would understand.

But I will tell you this,,,Id rather buy a guitar from one of those dealers than a car from a car dealer,,,,ever hear a car dealer say,,,Hey You Ready To Buy That Car Today If We Can "Make a Deal"?? then they smile

Its like discussing politics or religion Mark
there is no answer,,at least in my lifetime.
Im happy to be out of whats hapening today though,,,those Fender days were the BEST.

Too much politics and red tape today and no fun,,,grab the buck and run is the rule of thumb,,,but there are many good ones out there,,,,they are NOT all this way.

Dont mention you friends name,,some music stores out this way sell for less than that,they must have a side job to pay their expenses its weird aint it?

I didnt take your comments as a "slam" on Fender,,,,I think your comments were well founded,,,I have always thought that way...
"Join the Club" wanna open a music company with me? we could call it M&J guitars or J&M guitars,,,,,age before beauty,,,,,good
post,,thanks,,it gave me a chance to sound off again. TTYL....PS I'll tell you a funny story anout this subject sometime,,,,will e mail you off line. Take care,,,buy those Fenders,,,keep the economy going,,,
you really started something here and Im glad you did.

Makes more sense that somethings I read on this Forum,,,yuk. PS Mark when you go into a
automobile dealership,,,usually a salesman will approach the customer and say" may I help you??"

Go into a music store,,,,you have to look for a salesman to help you,,,you wait an hour and all you wanted was a .011 string.

The auto dealers wear a shirt and tie and are clean shaven,,,music stores?? an old Def
Leppard "raunchy "T" shirt and like" hey man
Im too busy ,,,,look for another salesman,,,on second thought I think I would rather buy a car.. Maybe someday,,,,it will change,,maybe they will wear Maddona "T" shirts,,I'd rather see Brittany Spears any day,,,,,May I help you Sir????
later my friend.

Edited for a clean "T" shirt and something called a "shower" DEODERANT ANYONE????

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 14 January 2002 at 08:06 AM.]

Mark Davis

Bakersfield, Ca
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2002 4:11 pm    

good post pal. I'm still waiting for you to write your book. The early history of Fender is one of the most interesting things there is for me and a zillion other Fender freaks out there. Since you were right there when it happened I try to take in all your info like a sponge and remember it like a photograph.

If we can ever convince Fender to reissue some steels I can sell a bunch of em here in Bakersfield.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2002 4:42 pm    

Mark,,,,
Are you calling me a "Freak"??? Im not a "freak" I know a bunch of "freaks". Those
"freaks" like me and I like them,,,,so I guess,,,Iam a "Freak" after all.

Im wearing my Alice Cooper "T" shirt as I write this,,,,its due for a washing sometime
about spring time,,,,still have some time left before my wife takes it off my back..man
I'm a Heavy Metal kind of cat,,,,,these dammed "spandex" pants bug me,,,,they grab me
too tight,,,you know,,,,what do I look like?
Yngwie Malsteem,,,,,know him??? he's a blue
grass player,,,,cuts his own grass I hear..has a Heavy Metal Mower ,,,,cool man
"like later" PS I just got this long black duster coat,,,I'm really happening,,,,
or did I already happen??? Im confused,,,,,I'll ask my wife... As Dave Van Allen (ya know him)says he's another "heavy metal dude" says "Its FENDER Of COURSE......

RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 11:40 am    

Jody, you bet I know Yngwie Malmsteem He is ONE HOT Bluegrass player. I had a guitar student in 1985 who came to me and ask me if I had heard of this guy who is from another planet.(from Sweeden) He plays a cassett of this cat and said he wanted me to teach him what this guy is playing...(Yea,Right, I got it,man) The tune was called...Far beyound the Sun....Best bluegrass,(Yea,Right) I EVER heard. Where DO these cats come from? I have studied this Duds' playing, and NEVER WILL I GET IT IN THIS LIFETIME. They call him....THE BAUCH OF ROCK.....He's a MONSTER!!! Ever watch him throw that Strat around his bodie while he's RIPPING 150 licks in a stanza? My head is still spinning!