| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dry hands make it hard to hold the bar.
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 3:08 am    

Anyone dealt with this problem? Along with a hefty amount of nerve damage, and a helping of arthritis to boot, my hands are so dry sometimes, that holding the bar is something akin to holding on to a greased pig. It's not really a big thing until I entertain the notion of picking the bar up off the strings.

Lotion doesn't really help too much, but I was wondering if anyone else shared this malfunction, and has come up with any solutions. I had the same problem in the beginning with keeping the picks on my fingers, but the "lick em and stick em" method has worked pretty well.

I'm teaching myself to play basically without any sense of touch, which has not been a real problem musically, but can be a pain in the mechanics department. I can't see where using sticky stuff would be too good on the guitar and strings (maybe bow rosin or something similar?) Any ides for this minor problem?
Jim Goins

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 4:43 am     dry hands

Hi Bobby. Jim Goins here, I have the same problem, worse in the winter months. I use a product called sticky picks I use it for my picks and bar works great I order it from Bob Hempker at steel guitars of Nashville. Bob is a great guy, he used to play steel guitar for Loretta Lynn. He took over Bobby Seymours shop after Bobby Died, he has a web site...steelguitarsof nashville Bob Hempker, phone 615 822 5555.
Jim.

Last edited by Jim Goins on 24 Feb 2019 5:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 4:50 am    

Lifting the bar to play hammers and pulls, play one or two strings, or use an open string chord is pretty important at times, so here are some ideas for you.

Lick and stick 'em; yup, works for dry skin with the bar too, at least a bit for a little while.

Gorp of various sorts, such as Gorilla Snot etc.. Haven't tried, I can't stand my hands feeling gummy or sticky and get an overpowering urge to wash.

Rosin; Seen it mentioned here, but a block like a fiddler uses is probably not the answer. Maybe a small bag like a pitcher's rosin bag could help. Probably not too expensive to try.

Polymer bar; OK, these things really are easier to grip than a polished stainless or chromed bar. Why they are, when they are so slick on the strings I can't explain, but they are. Tribotone is great but not made right now, however Basil Henriques makes Ezee Slide (sp?)and Todd Clinesmith is making something in that line.

I've heard powder coated bars offer some of the features of polymer for less money, although not as durable.

Chuck Campbell uses what is basically a 12 string sized bullet nose bar with hollows milled down the sides. I believe it was custom made for him by Jim Burden of Bullet bars, who can be found here on the Forum. Those sacred steel guys use a lot of what I think of as bar blocking. They lift the bar while the pinky and ring fingers of the bar hand remain on the strings. Chuck can and does use a rolling vibrato rather than a back and forth shake type.
Robert Randolph uses kind of a supersize Stevens type bar made by Shubb. They have several models that might be worth a look for you. You are allowed to have and use more than one bar, you know.

Your mentioning nerve damage, arthritis and lack of feeling in the fingers makes me think the best solution for you may lay in this last category.

The answer to your first question, by the way, is: All of us.

Good luck finding a solution.

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 5:06 am    

Thanks fellas. Does using this kind of stuff tend to foul the strings up? - would be my concern.

Jim, I'll get in touch with Bob and try some of this, thanks.

Chris, the pitchers rosin may be the way, but am still concerned with fouling the guitar and strings up - never know till I experiment I guess. Thanks all.
Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 5:50 am    

Get a Ezeeslide bar from Basil. You won’t regret it
Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 8:37 am    

I just picked up some bowstring wax a few days ago and it works great. Not overly tacky or gunky but just enough to keep the picks anchored and improve bar grip. Got that tip from Gilroy Hollister on youtube.

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 9:53 am    

I have a ceramic bar that is much easier to hang on to than the steel, so I concur with the suggestions for trying bars made from other materials. If you double on guitar, a topical goop type of treatment is not feasible.

Also, only use natural soap on your hands. Use chemical soaps only when you absolutely have to, otherwise just wash your hands with water.
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 2:55 pm    

I use Dial gold Fred - it's what my mom had in the house when growing up. I've worked in concrete for years, and your hands are in the water all day, every day. They get really bad. The only thing I've found that combat this abuse is this little tube of stuff from Nutragena called Norwegian Hand Cream - it will actually heal the cracks, and spiderweb looking stuff that happens.

I'm kinda off-put by paying a lot for a polymer bar thing because I hear they aren't bright - and I like classic bright.
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 11:14 pm    

Bobby, I never minded the hard work of concrete and have known some real artists in the trade, but you know as well as anyone it is some of the worst thing ever made for the skin on your hands. We should probably be asking your advice for how to keep the paws moisturized under extreme conditions.

Just one other weird thought. Maybe you could try some of those latex painter’s gloves you can at the hardware store. Cut the ring and pinky fingers off the glove so you can still block behind the bar. No goop, no polymer bar, no magic dust...
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 3:03 am    

Yeah Fred, like someone above said, it's a lot worse in the winter (as is everything - I hate winter). Someone above also mentioned bow wax, and I actually have some around here. I'm going to experiment with it a little.
Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 5:47 am    

Try Okeeffes working hands hand cream, I find it to be the best at healing hands and retaining moisture. It comes in the green tub.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2019 11:18 am    

I use a combo of Okeeff's and the Norwegian stuff - the Norwegian stuff is the go to when things are really bad. As I said, I've found it to be the only thing that will actually repair damaged hands - maybe something Norwegian fisherman know that we don't?