| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Gumby key head
Brian Gattis

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 2:31 pm    

I always liked the look of the the Gumby headstock on Sho Buds I was wondering if anybody knows the reason they designed them this way?

Thanks

Brian Gattis
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 2:44 pm    

I believe that it was just cosmetic. ZB had a nice design as well. When the trend was designigning more compact and lighter weight guitars, those nice designs disappeared,
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 2:48 pm    

Great question!
I won’t even pretend to know that answer ...however, the early permanents with the “duck tails” and the “gumby head”, remind me of the ~ in the Logo!?

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 4:44 pm    

I don't believe it's widely known, but according to Buddy Emmons, that keyhead was the very first piece of the guitar that Shot Jackson designed and envisioned as the Sho~Bud. He first showed it to Buddy, and Buddy said the headstock reminded him of a "shark fin", and that Shot was really proud of it. I don't know who came up with the "Gumby" monicker, but I think Buddy was right - it looks more like a shark fin than it does anything else. Cool
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 10:34 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
I don't believe it's widely known, but according to Buddy Emmons, that keyhead was the very first piece of the guitar that Shot Jackson designed and envisioned as the Sho~Bud. He first showed it to Buddy, and Buddy said the headstock reminded him of a "shark fin", and that Shot was really proud of it. I don't know who came up with the "Gumby" monicker, but I think Buddy was right - it looks more like a shark fin than it does anything else. Cool

Especially the oldest version of the headstock. The later version is more like a dolphin fin Smile