| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RKR Frypan
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 12:54 pm    

I just wanted to share the latest addition to the family.

It's a frypan made here in England in 1991 by a player called Rod King. Branded as RKR. The actual number made depends on who you talk to but I believe he made no more than 16 of them. Cast from aircraft grade aluminum (or aluminium as we call it on this side of the pond). It sounds great and is the first 7 string I've owned. Looking forward to using it in the studio soon.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 1:23 pm    

That looks great jeff. I didn't think anything like that was produced over here! I met a steel player by the name of Rod King a year or so back playing a Jerry Byrd Rickenbacker console. Would this be the same Rod King?
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 1:25 pm    

Mike A Holland wrote:
That looks great jeff. I didn't think anything like that was produced over here! I met a steel player by the name of Rod King a year or so back playing a Jerry Byrd Rickenbacker console. Would this be the same Rod King?

If it was this guy then yes Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zTEH7kpss
Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2019 9:58 pm    

That pup is one big hunk. Would love to hear how it sounds.
Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 3:35 am    

Jeff Mead wrote:
Mike A Holland wrote:

If it was this guy then yes Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zTEH7kpss

Yes that's definitely the Rod King I was thinking of!
Mike
Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 3:50 am    

Joe Breeden wrote:
That pup is one big hunk. Would love to hear how it sounds.

There is hardly anything online about these guitars except for a couple of posts on this forum (not surprising as so few were made) but I understand that the pickups are not actually horseshoe pickups and the covers aren't an integral part of the pickup as they would be on a true horseshoe.

That said, to my ears at least, this sounds pretty much as I would expect a frypan to sound - certainly very different to any of my other steels. Whether it is down to the pickup itself (I've seen it described as a Charlie Christian type) or the solid alumin(i)um body, I'm not sure.

But one thing's for sure - next time I'm in the studio (hopefully very soon) it will be with me!
Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 5:24 am    

Rod and his wife Rosemary (Bass player) come to our regular meetings at Thornton Watlass in North Yorkshire, England. He's still a very talented player on his "Rick" guitar and cajoles us to join in with his performances of many tunes.
The YouTube clip shows Rod, Rosemary on Bass and Digby Hardy on rhythm guitar (also a Lap Steel player himself).
Keith.
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 6:28 am    

Cool lookin’ pan, Jeff. Nice score. At first glance at your title, I thought it was gonna be a frypan with a knee lever 😂

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 17 Feb 2019 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2019 7:17 am    

Just like my old one, congratulations!! I miss that steel, but circumstances dictated I let it go. If memory serves, it went to a member in North Carolina, and has changed hands since. I know you'll enjoy yours. Smile