| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Polishing: What Am I Doing Wrong?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 3:28 pm    

I'm needing to polish my steels, and the first one is my Rains D10.
I used Mother's Mag Polish, distributed it with a cloth, then took a drill and polishing pads/wheels.
Most of the residue comes off clean, but these new black splotches remain, and I can't buff them out.

Help!
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 4:46 pm     Polish just keeps on polishing...

Buffing is what made the black residue in the first place. That residue is actually powdered aluminum that's so fine it doesn't refract light, hence it looks black. Wipe off the residue with a clean rag and naptha or mineral spirits, and then do a final light polishing with a clean rag only.
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 7:29 pm    

Mothers is not an abrasive polish, it's not meant to be used with a wheel. It's a chemical process.
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 7:55 pm     Polishing: what am I doing wrong.

I have polished aluminum in my workshop for 50 years, but with a large stationary machine that uses polishing wheels 12" in diameter and 3" thick. I have not used a drill, but the principal is the same. Polishing is a two step process: cutting and coloring. The first time, you use a red rouge stick polishing compound to cut the top oxidation and other gunk off. Then you use a white compound stick for coloring, to make it shine. Once it is polished, don't touch it with your hands. When it needs touching up, or to get finger prints or oxidation off, I use Simi-Chrome polish available at motorcycle shops. This is all I have ever used, but I am sure there are other products that will work equally well.I won't go into the type polishing wheels I use for the two separate processes because they are not available for drills.Suffice to say they are not hard, stitched type wheels.
Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2019 8:57 pm    

Another vote for Simi-Chrome!
Steven Cummings

Texas
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 2:43 am    

When I was talking to Maurice Anderson he recommended Simi-chrome for polishing the metal. Worked well.

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 5:33 am    

I agree with Ian. I think Mothers should be done by hand. I use an old crew sock to rub it on & in,then an old T-shirt, turning it often to keep it from loading up.to shine it. Works good. If I was gonna use a buffing wheel, I’d use the buffing rouges. I’ve been lucky with the buffing wheel on disassembled steel parts a few times that applying Mothers or similar polishing compounds would actually dull it from where it was, but that wasn’t easy. It was mostly amature luck.
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 2:43 pm    

If you want to turn your head of gray hair black buff with out a cap works every time.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 3:27 pm    

The best that I have used is 'Purple Polish". Purchase the kit; use the cleaner first and then the polish. It is rather pricey so I use 'Never Dull' (polish is contained in the wadding, a small section will do an entire guitar)between treatments to maintain the shine.
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 4:51 pm    

Chris, when I saw the title of your post I thought "Not getting someone else to do it"! Smile
Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2019 7:06 pm    

Chris, I went back to your original post & figured out what went wrong. You’re gettin that nasty Lone Star beer all over it!
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 9:17 am    

I agree with David Nugent. Never Dull is in a tin can and I think I got mine at Wal-Mart. It is a fiber wadding, tear off a little piece and rub the metal by hand and let dry and wipe off with clean dry cloth. Works really well for just a good fast clean up. You can tell if you need to do it again. J.R. Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2019 9:18 am    

Works on Chrome Legs as well. J.R.