| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to PSG - Have some chord questions based on my setup
Tim Donaghy

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 2:07 pm    

Hey friends - I'm fairly new to the pedal steel and finally got a guitar with more than one lever (got 3 now, it's a 1965ish Domland Stereo, pretty cool). But now I'm a little confused. I think that it *mostly* conforms to the Emmons E9 setup on this site, but with some variation:

http://www.buddyemmons.com/ttchart.htm

My setup is:
LKL: 4 + 8 to F
RKL: 4 + 8 to Eb
RKR: 2 to D

On top of that, I have the regular three pedals, and know that A+B make the 4th of the root. So I guess my question is:

1. What chords can I make with my lever combos? I'm hearing things that sound familiar from guitar, but can't quite pinpoint it.
2. How the heck do I use pedals B+C?

Any guidance helps. Thank you!

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 3:22 pm    

Welcome, Tim.

Cap'n B0b wrote a nice little article that will show you the most-used chords in the key of E (at the nut):

https://b0b.com/wp/?page_id=960

Once you get comfortable with these, you'll soon figure out there is another pocket (2 frets wide) that's rooted 7 frets up from home. In the key of E, that's the 7th fret, with AB pedals down.

You can get all the same chords there, using frets 7 and 5. Obviously, you'll have to use different 'positions' (pedals/knees and fret), but it's another set of chords that are conveniently close to each other on the fretboard. Now, you can get a lot of mileage by sliding between the pockets, even if it's just hitting the same chord in two positions.

Last edited by Tucker Jackson on 2 Feb 2019 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 3:25 pm    

Some to be going on with:-

A and LKL gives a VI chord. Slide up three frets and you're back to a I.

B and RKL gives a V7.

On strings 4,5 & 6 if you press C and simultaneously move the bar back two frets then it sounds like you lowered 6 a whole tone. Or on 3,4 & 5 it sounds like you lowered 3. Takes some practice. See if you can go back and forth keeping the notes straight on 4 & 5. B & C together give a ii chord.

Others will chime in no doubt.

Last edited by Ian Rae on 2 Feb 2019 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2019 8:37 pm     New to PSG- Have some chord questions onmy setup

The first thing I would suggest, Get a Mel-Bay Steel Guitar E9th chord chart. Check here on the Forum or then "Just Google It". Price from 4 to 7 dollars.
I messed with a steel for several years and then a steel playing friend gave me a Mel-Bay Steel guitar E9th chord chart. Once I set down and transposed the chords from a 6 string to the E9th neck it was a game changer. Wish I had that chord chart the first day I sat down at a steel.

The A pedal and F knee lever (raise 4-8)together and up 3 frets, Is the same chord. Example: Bar 3rd fret open, G chord. Up to 6th fret, A pedal and F knee Lever another G Chord.

At the 3rd Fret B pedal and D knee Lever (lower 4&8)D7th chord release D knee lever, rock over on A&B pedals up to 5th fret for D. A smooth transition to D chord.

Now B&C pedal. G chord 3rd fret, You need an Em. Push A pedal down Em. If your are at fret 10 A&B pedals down G, If you release A&B pedals and engage B&C you have another Em with no bar movement.

Welcome to the Forum and Happy Steelin. BJ
Tim Donaghy

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 12:15 am    

Thank you everyone, this is all great stuff and helped put a few things into perspective. After practicing tonight, I have a better idea of how to get some use out of the B+C pedals and some of the levers.

And especially thanks to Tucker for sending me over some great documentation!

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2019 10:39 am    

Hi Tim, your setup has everything you need and nothing you don't. With your knee lever and pedal setup there are endless ways of connecting just about any chords you might want to play. Anything else you might want to add in the future would be what I would consider extra changes, and everything that's on there serves important functions for playing fluidly up and down the neck.

Check out this record sometime... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7zamXlVROY
Buddy Charleton had less on his guitar than what you have now and just listen to him go!
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 12:02 pm    

Have you seen this Chord Chart?
I think it would be very helpful for you:
https://jesseleite.com/uploads/misc/e9/pedal-steel-guitar-E9-fretboard-reference-draft-6.pdf?fbclid=IwAR24jBicDueg-O7oFmsfH8riXX7mP5n42eCYNsQJfaH2WrhITFxaErU1vsQ
Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2019 6:38 pm    

Get Tom Bradshaw's chord book at his web sie:
Www.songwriter.com. He covers most of the chords available on e9 3&4. Quite a bit if good info for free. It will definitely help learning what levers and pedals make what chords.

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 8:23 am    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
Get Tom Bradshaw's chord book at his web sie:
Www.songwriter.com. He covers most of the chords available on e9 3&4. Quite a bit if good info for free. It will definitely help learning what levers and pedals make what chords.

That’s a different songwriter page. Here’s Tom’s:
https://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/index.php
Tim Donaghy

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2019 9:47 am    

Thanks again everyone for the great info and chord charts, and Brett - good to hear that I have everything I need. I remember before I bought it, posing the question and hearing, "oh if it doesn't have 5 levers it's gonna limit you."