| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  my setup on my franklin. newbie help
Jason Schofield

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2005 9:18 pm    

This is the setup on my Franklin E9. I'm trying to figure out why some of the levers are different from what you see in most instruction books ect..I can't seem to get the 7th chord with the AB & G lever. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2005 10:38 pm    

Jason, it appears your RKL and your LKR are reveresed from what many but not all consider standard. I don't see anything there that will hinder you learning to play.As a matter of fact. I've seen this set-up on several Sho~Buds LDG's.

It also appears that you have a 1/2 stop on 6th string lower. If it's tuned? You will not need the B pedal to get the 7th chord. Just use your A pedal and LKR At the half stop. and you'll have your 7th chord. If you don't have a 1/2 stop on the 6th string lower? Or, if it's not set up to split tune? Most likely it's not. Well that's a different story. But we can get you going on that also. Hope this helps......bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 06 December 2005 at 10:49 PM.]

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2005 5:25 am    

Jason,
Your dad may have had problems with the LR raise too; in combination with the sixth string lower, it may be asking too much of that lever.
For fun, look at Paul Franklin's setup: http://b0b.com/tunings/franklin.htm
Note that on his RR (your LR), he has a half-step raise on str. 2 and a whole step on str. 1 (and 7). He would feel the G# raise to G as the D#->E engages; a 'feel stop.' Just a thought.

Another thought would be to assign the vertical lever to raise F#->G or lower G#->G on strs. 3 and 6. I would find the raise useful, but there are many possibilities.
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2005 6:00 am    

I use those changes in exactly those positions (although I don't use a half stop on the 6th string) for more than thirty years. It works fine, I assure you.

Realize that the LKR is actually TWO LEVERS. You rarely, if ever, use the 1st and 6th strings together. Press A+B == play 5,4,3,1 == now hit the half-stop on F# to G == a sixth chord will turn into a Dom7 chord (open A6 to A7) == NOW, hold all that and move the 1st string from G to G#. This will give you A6--A7--AMa7 -- All three are available using that lever.

Another way of getting a 7th chord is RKL + B pedal -- that will give you B7 open. Play 8,6,5 == open it's an EMa chord == add RKL -- now it's a B6 chord == add B pedal to that -- now it's a B7 chord.

Work at it. There are a bunch of movements that are not natural -- they must be learned and the only way to do it is OVER AND OVER.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2005 11:26 am    

I defer to Larry; he's much experienced.
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2005 9:09 am    

I have the same LKR and RKL changes. This is backwards from the "Emmons" setup, but hey, it works. I see no reason to change. I've been playing four years on that setup, and have no complaints. Here's mine:

LKL- E's to F
LKV- Lowers 5 & 6 a whole
LKR- F#'s to G#

RKL- E's to D#
RKR- B's to Bb.

D-10 Fessenden, Nashville 112, Session 500, Goodrich LDR
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2005 4:12 pm    

I would add a D to C# on the RR lever.

I also would have a hard time doing without the X lever. B to Bb.

And personally, I never lower the 2nd string past D, for the minor 7th chord.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2005 4:57 pm    

I thought it was wierd until I realized that the chart doesn't show the levers in the normal sequence. The copedent isn't unusual at all. The standard changes are exactly where I like them.

Referring to my E9 theory page, your standard levers are:

"D" = RKR
"E" = RKL
"F" = LKL

I suggest that you re-draw the chart so that the levers are in this order:

LKL LKV LKR . RKL RKR

That's the visual order when you're seated at the guitar. It will make a lot more sense when you see it that way.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2005 8:47 pm    

Quote:
I would add a D to C# on the RR lever.

Me to. However I was just trying to help him with his existing set-up.

Quote:
I also would have a hard time doing without the X lever. B to Bb.

He has that change. LKV

Quote:
And personally, I never lower the 2nd string past D, for the minor 7th chord.

D# to C# Change.

If I had to choose? the D# to D is the most important of the 2 changes. However I would hate to have to give up the D# to C#.Besides the over used unison thing. With the 5th string pedal down. Think of it as the 6th note of the scale, pedals up position. Lots of cool single string licks there.With the 9th string 1/2 lower.You can play tons of easy to get to C6th sounding licks and few fat chords.Also you can mix this change with any pedal and most knee lever changes. But that's another thread.......bb

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 08 December 2005 at 09:38 PM.]

Jason Schofield

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2005 9:36 am    

Hey guys, thank you for all the replies on my setup. I wish my step-father was still around so I could ask him why he choose that setup. I'm still not sure of the benefits of the "G" lever on the 6th string. I'm still thinking of moving it over to the 7th string to raise the F#. I would love to add a D to C# on the RR lever but I don't have anyone the area to help me with that. Mabye the next time I take a trip back to Nashville I could get it done. Thanks again guys.