| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  There are other cables besides George L's
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2019 8:47 am    

I have used George L cables exclusively for probably 15 years, maybe longer. I got an Evans pre-amp, which I loved, but it was too bright. the first thing I thought of was to get some cables that will lose some highs. I ordered some Pro Co 90% shielded cable and Switchcraft plugs from Parts Express. Then I went another direction with a Black Box which solved the problem, so I never got around to making up the cords, until yesterday. Since I had bought all the stuff, I thought I might as well go ahead and make up a completed set as a back-up for my George L's. I plugged them in and I was pretty astounded at the sound. The highs were not quite as much as the George L's, but just a tiny increase of the high EQ knob brought them up. The big surprise was how much fuller my overall sound was compared to my George L's. Now, my George L's are my back-up up set.

I don't know anything about the Pro Co cables. Since this is what Parts Express sell's off the spool, I just trusted them to supply a quality cable, and at $1.09 per ft., I thought I would not be getting a cheaply made cable.The cable is very large in diameter. You have to pull it firmly to get it through the barrell of the Switchcraft plug. This sort of gives you a strain releif, maybe not enough for guitar players moving around,but certainly for steel players.There is no twisting of tangling and they look great. I love the hefty, heavy duty feel and looks of these cables. I don't know how the capitance compares to the George L's. The construction of the cable is impressive. A heavy, black rubber covering, copper stranded wire wrapped around a black rubber covered positive cable that is inside a thick plastic tubing. These puppies are built like a tank.

Disclaimer: Like all advice you get on steel, buyer beware. If you rush out and get these cables or make your own, remember, I am on!y stating my opinion based on my experience, gear, and ears. Your mileage may vary.I am not down grading George L cables. They are probably the gold standard for steel players and are used by more Steelers than anything else.