| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D'Addario Users
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 4:56 pm    

I am starting off the new year in a different gear. I just got done replacing my strings on both necks with D'Addario NYXL strings and new cables. I have been using my George L .155 cables and ends since 1995. Also am a faithful Ernie Ball string user. I heard good reviews in regards to the D'Addario strings and cables. Who else out here has tried them and what is your opinion?
Brett Robinson

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 5:43 pm     Daddario

The Daddario NYXL’s are the most balanced, longest lasting string I’ve used. I cantimagine using anything else. The cable kits are really nice too. I just made a few short cables and they feel sturdy and sound great.
-BR
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 7:16 pm    

I know nothing about the cables, but I have used one set of the strings so far. I agree with Brett, they are very balanced and long lasting. They seem to hold tune better than other strings I have used. I have used GHS Rollerwound and Boomers for about 15 years...NYXL from here on out.

Live Steel strings are also very good...especially the stainless.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:26 pm    

Totally agree with Brett, can't beat them. Happy new year

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:30 pm    

Cable kit?
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2019 9:40 pm    

I just put a set on my MSA Legend XL and so far I like them but can't say anything about the longevity yet.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 3:11 am    

Kevin I was given set of E9th strings a little over a month ago by forumite Greg Lanier,Haven't had a chance yet to put them on yet but soon...By the way Greg is an awesome player and a salt of the earth guy!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 7 Jan 2019 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 4:07 am    

I bought some cable & plugs from b0b. I like them.
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:07 am    

I like both the strings and t6he cable. I used to make all my own cables (Canare cable, Neutrik connectors). These are just as good, and the ease of assembly is great

--Al Evans

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:20 am    

Paul Franklin: NYXL STRINGS
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 12:18 pm     From ProSteels to NYXL’s.

The NYXL’s last longer than any string I’ve ever used. The E9 neck is all I play, so I can’t speak for the C6 sets, but I’m sure they’re just as good. My personal opinion is, you can’t go wrong with D’Addario. Besides, the little guitar store where I shop only stocks D’Addario.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 2:58 pm    

I tried them and yes they are a good string; but they didn't last nearly as long as my Jagwires do...and the .022w fretting sharp....that usually means its either the wrong or bad core wire....
Ricky
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 4:23 pm    

Do they sell a set with .022w ?

I've been using the cable kit for about a year with good success. Just had one go noisy but it's almost as easy a fix as George L's - screwdriver required. Slightly less shrill sounding than the George L's but still plenty of highs. The right angle plugs are more sturdy and secure, I was always checking the George L's. Not a huge difference overall but I slightly prefer the D'Addario kit.
Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 4:35 pm    

Ricky Davis wrote:
I tried them and yes they are a good string; but they didn't last nearly as long as my Jagwires do...and the .022w fretting sharp....that usually means its either the wrong or bad core wire....
Ricky

None of the NYXL sets have a wound .022. Did you buy an NYXL single?
Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 5:09 pm    

Sorry but disagree entirely with Ricky. In fact I have found the reverse to be true. And, yes you have to purchase .022w as singles.

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 5:56 pm    

My sixth string is a 20 plain. Was using a 22 plain normally. Going to give it a try and see how the 20 plain does.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 6:50 pm    

Long lasting, no dead spots or bad harmonics after a few months of use. A bit bright in tone for my taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 7:08 pm    

The NYXL pedal steel strings are very similar in tone and feel to the GHS Americana cryogenic pedal steel sets. Both are wound with a nickel-iron alloy, making them brighter and more magnetic than regular nickel wound strings. I prefer nickel-iron to stainless, which is just too bright for my taste, but often I'll go back to nickel because it's softer. I change strings about every 6 weeks.

I honestly can't hear or feel a difference between brands on plain strings. Maybe someone with better ears than mine can. Wound strings are where the real differences are.

I've replaced all of my wires with D'Addario DIY cables and plugs. Perfect lengths, transparent sound. I love them!

Disclaimer: I sell these things. Consider this as you would any advertisement. Click "Strings" or "Accessories" at the top of the page to buy now.
Mr. Green

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 8:42 pm    

Yes you order the .022wound separately.
And I totally disagree with Greg entirely; as he made no sense in what he disagrees with>(the string fretting sharp? or Jagwires lasting longer??)
That is my experience with the strings and I have been using Jagwires for 15 years...so I know them in comparison to EVERY string to come out.
As for the string playing sharp...> well I'm on over 15 major movie soundtracks and 25 commercials and over 100 CD's...and so I know what "in-tune is and what Out of tune" is.
Sure you can have different experience than me...but disagreeing with my experience needs more explanation and proof.
Ricky
Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2019 10:40 pm    

Comparative Longevity is what I disagree with Ricky. I have used Jagwires and in my experience the NYXl's outlast them in tonal quality and don't degrade to the same extent. That is my personal opinion and I'm sticking to it. Each to their own I guess.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 7:56 am    

I tried them and like them. I just don't like the price. I have an ExtE9 12 string. They don't have a prepackaged set for that. I had to buy a regular 10 string set and the 2 bottom strings. By the time I got done with tax and shipping, it was just under $28.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 8:05 am    

OK Cool Greg; I understand your opinion now and absolutely everyone has their opinion according to there experience. Always better to express ones own opinion instead of disagreeing with another own opinion; because they are based on individual experience.
Thanks.
Ricky
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 8:59 am    

Jagwire doesn't make a nickel-iron alloy string, so comparing them to NYXL really is a matter of personal preference. Do you like apples or oranges? GHS "Progessives" are similar to the D'Addario NYXLs and a better target for comparison.

And as far as the plain steel strings go, can anyone here really tell the difference between brands? I can't.

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 9:12 am    

You can learn more about NYXL formula here:

What Are NYXL Guitar Strings?

NYXL: One-of-a-kind Wire
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2019 9:38 am    

Good Points b0b and yes it is personal preference...if we all didn't have our OWN preference per OWN experiences; we would just all be a bunch of robots walking around...HOW BORING...ha.
Ricky