| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 middle F
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 10:57 am    

Middle F is very important to me and I’ve had 6 string raise on C6 as long as I can remember on pedal 4. Buddy had 6 string raise here often , Doug always had reverse p6 on LKL, Buck has reverse p6 + whole tone raise on 10th string on p4.
Many players opt for lower 5 string a whole step with 10 string raise, usually on a knee lever. Her by, Tommy and Mike J all do this. John Hughey had 5 lower and 6 raise both on separate knees!
I find it more useful to have the 9th above the root instead of the major 7th below the root in the voicing. What's your preference and why?
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2018 9:06 pm    

I have the S5 whole tone lower. It came on my guitar this way and I have no experience with an s6 raise.

I play out of the s9 F root a lot and that change helps phrases resolve nicely to the I chord in that context. .(eg.. the G otherwise makes an add 9 from s9 F root). This change also works well in combination with P6 as a the +2 V7 chord.

Biggest disadvantage is the throw length on CKR is so long it restricts my ability to fully throw RKL until I back off on it. No doubt this issue is fixable by moving the change to the outside lever.

Last edited by Tom Gorr on 29 Dec 2018 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 1:58 am    

what ? Could you repeat the question ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 6:49 am    

I have MKR raising the E to F and the 10th to a D.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 9:49 am    

Since I have pedal 7 on a knee lever, I have the pedal, to the right of pedal six available. On that pedal, I lower string 5 from G to F, And raise string one to D#. It works great with pedal 6. I like the 7th tone in the higher strings. Haven't researched the string 10 raise to D on a lever/pedal along with the G to F lower.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 10:53 am    

been raising both my Es to F with pedal 4 for years, can't live without it

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 11:00 am    

That's interesting, Scott. Where did the notion come from? Was it your idea? I hadn't heard of that as an option but I can see that it has possibilities.
John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 12:42 pm    

Roger, I copied Buck, pedal 4 lowers 2, raise 6 and raise 10!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 12:50 pm    

Hi, John.

Actually, it was Buck who put that pull on my Emmons for me, except he just raised the middle E and the low C - he didn't lower my 2nd. Maybe he developed that later. This was maybe twelve years ago now.
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 1:20 pm    

Buck pitched that change to me when I brought him my JCH to set up recently. I may end up trying it on one of my extra pedals, now that I'm playing a 10x8.

I did come up with the raises on pedal 4, I forget what I was working on at the time which prompted the change, but I use it all the time these days. It only makes sense to have a full F chord in open position, when you've got the option of major and dominant 7 chords.

I was quite pleased to discover Buddy had the same change on his 4th pedal, at least he did for awhile

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 1:31 pm    

Buck suggested the 6/10 raise to me at a point when I'd barely delved into C6th at all. Listen to him demonstrating the change was proof enough that, in capable hands, it made good sense but it would be a long while before I truly began to understand its applications.

Scott: your P4 (raising the Es to F) is interesting and it's another way to further orientate 'E9 thinking' on the back neck. It gives us, as you say, a virtually straight-up F chord at the zero fret, rather than the highly coloured F maj7 or maj9 that we have now (with no tonic in the higher registers).
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 3:46 pm    

If you play a uni you have that change already.
Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2018 8:24 pm    

I loved the 6,5,4,3 Maj7 voicing of the whole tone lower from the first time I heard it on Maurice's old LP's when I was a kid. As you know, John, that's what I have.

I'd love to have the "flip flop" pedal as DJ referred to it once Laughing and Buck uses so nicely with the 10 raise. My guitar has 9+9 already. So many opportunities and no more pedals/knees practically speaking....
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2018 10:25 am    

I have both on my Bb6 S12 - they both fall into the “I couldn’t live without them” category.

The lower makes such a beautiful close voiced min9 chord, especially since my 12th string is tuned to C (like tuning string 10 on C6 to D, a 9th or 2nd, depending on how you look at it.

The raise is, among other things, part of the Uni setup, as well as a terrific middle string melodic device.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2024 7:27 am    

I have the 5th string G-F on my MKL, but REALLY wish I had a solid F# stop on my way to it sometimes. I also raise both the A's -A#/Bb on MKV, and lower them both to G# on MKR... Here again I really wish I could take that MKV all the way to B with a solid half stop, but I think I ask too much. THEN put the reverse 6 on pedal 4, and you'd have it all. Again, I can dream can't I?
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2024 7:33 am    

2024 update:
My P4 lowers 2 (Eb) and raises 6 and 10 *F and D respectively).

My new MKV - raises the 4th to B but, instead of raises the 8th as well, I'm raising the 7th (C to D).

Very useful so far!