| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cost to have a Pedal Steel tuned to E9th and ready to play?
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 4:05 pm    

S10
3 pedals
2 knee levers
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 4:25 pm    

Um, most S10s with 3+2 are already tuned to E9. Do you know what it's tuned to now and what the pedals and knee levers currently do? If everything is there and working, it could be anywhere from zero to a few hours of someone's labor.
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 5:21 pm    

Where do you live . IF its close Ill do it for free.
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 5:47 pm    

Gary, I don't know where you are at in California but there is probably a steel player close to you that would help you at no cost. There are steel guitar stores in Oceanside and Riverside where they would tune your guitar for you and set it up if it needs it. Post your location and see who responds.
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2018 6:22 pm    

It strikes me that you desperately need to sit down with an experienced player and sort out a few things. From your other thread it appears you might be hung up on Day vs. Emmons, which should be a complete non-issue. It is not clear to me why you can't tune your steel. The pitches of the E9 tuning, as well as all the standard pedal and lever pulls, are readily available, so why do you need help tuning? Is this an equal temperament versus just intonation issue? Your inquiry is so general that I don't know what the primary issue is.

On more than one occasion I've had a new student come to me with a pedal steel that was wildly out of tune and completely unplayable. Our first lesson was about 99 percent me getting their steel into at least a semi-playable condition. Sometimes I've had to then refer them to someone for more extensive servicing, i.e., Tom Bradshaw. But at least we developed a plan of action that got the ball rolling. There's only so much anyone can say just talking on the forum. We need to have the steel in front of us to really know what's going on.

So, where are you located in California? It's a big state. And how far are you willing to drive?

After the holidays I should have time to help you if you can drive to Placerville.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2018 5:25 am     Cost to have a Pedal Steel tuned to E9th and ready to play?

Well, that depends. You see, it's kinda like asking someone "How much would you charge to get my car running." You don't say if all you want is for the pedals and levers to be fine-tuned (presuming it was "close" and tuneable to start with), or if you possibly want changes in the basic setup. For instance, Day vs. Emmons, compensators and half-stops set, etc. I've have no problem helping some players get started this way for gratis - with a simple guitar in decent shape.

But then again, there are some who rely on this type of stuff to make a living, and they would probably charge accordingly with however much time it took, and what was involved. All guitars are not created equal, and many are hosed up by former (but well-intending) owners. Base rate might be $35-$50 an hour for the average guy. But some might charge more...considerably more, if problems were found, and they had to spend hours getting things right, or if they were a top-of-the-line pro.

I've heard of some pros charging $100-$200 an hour.