| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  guitar oil
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 6:36 am    

Hello everyone
i was at the music store the other day and saw a small oil dispenser that was called NUT SAUCE for guitar nuts...
it look like a handy little oil can
is it ok to use it if it has teflon or graphite..

Ken Metcalf/ San Antonio
D-10 Carson Wells
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 9:05 am    

Ken - There was a discussion about this on the Forum some time ago. I don't think you would want to use this on a pedal steel guitar changer.

Click Here

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Mullen U-12
Evans FET-500
Fender Steel King

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 8:21 pm    

Go to ‘Dollar General’ Store and for $1.00 you can get a 4 oz. plastic~bottle w/spout of (GUNK) Super Oil from the makers of Liquid Wrench. Good for everything moving on your guitar incl. Roller~Nut & Changer. Use just one~drop at a time.

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2005 8:36 pm    

I use a dry Teflon lubricant on the bar bridge on my 1000, which is tuned to the top-8 of an E9 setup. Two weeks playing the dickens out of it and no string breaks.

Bob Warford uses a Gun lubricant on his B-bender; I use sewing machine oil on mine.

On changers, purely from a physics sense any light viscosity oil should be fine.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2005 3:33 am    

I don't know what Emmons uses now, but in 71 when I got a new (Black ) D-10 Emmons I asked Ron Lashley (Sr) what to use and he told me they used Liquid Wrench #2, which is now sold as the Super Oil that John Bechtel suggests.
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2005 8:01 am    

If any oil is needed, it would be best to use 3-in-1 lightweight machine oil. IN MINUTE APPLICATIONS. People tend to over oil, which will collect lint and become gummy. Get one of those long nose, precise oil applicators off of eBay, or perhaps somewhere else. The key is a micro drop placed precisely in the right spot. Clean off any excess.........As Gary would say, "DONT BE A DUMMY, AND LET YOUR GUITAR GET GUMMY!

------------------
I'd rather be opinionated, than apathetic!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 1:32 am    

I've had positive results using 3 in 1 oil on my guitars for a long time. I usually put a cloth rag or paper towel under the part I'm oiling to catch any extra oil. Then I wipe off any excess oil from the parts I oiled. I've also heard good things about Marvel Mystery Oil.(Think that's the name)
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 7:39 am    

I bought an Emmons p/p and the pedals were SO gummy that they hardly moved. I pulled tham off the rod and the old lubricant had turned to the consistancy of gun grease. I cleaned them up and lightly lubricated them with some 3 in 1. Works for me.
Erv
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2005 2:23 pm    

Automatic transmission fluid works for me.
Not waxy or gummy.
(the red color of it makes you play faster too )

------------------
Justin Griffith
D-10 Blanton 8X4, Gooodrich L-10K, Matchbox, Small cab. Session 500, Evans FET 500LV And new Walker seat

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 8:59 am    

3-IN-1 in the blue,and white container.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 11:08 am    

Derby recommends the ‘GUNK’ rather than (3-in-1). I don't recall the reason, but; it seemed convincing enough to me! So far, I still have never found oiling of any kind to be necessary! Maybe it's because; my steels never got an awful lot of use! I don't know if that's good or bad¡ But, I've never had any problems with operations!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Charles Turpin

Mexico, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 12:17 pm    

On my Zum steels i go to the local Westlakes and get a siliconic oil called Tri-Flo. That was what Bruce Zumsteg of Zumsteel recomended for his steels. I ahve used the same kind of oil on my Zums since 1990 and I haven't had any trouble with my steels oiling them about once twice a year.

------------------
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2005 5:14 pm    

Just found this on Marvels Mystery Oil:

Begin Quote:

Story about Marvel Mystery Oil: During the summer of 2000 we were cruising through the Central Adirondacks of New York State in our mostly original '23 Touring. We stopped for gas at a local station, and a gentleman who appeared to be about 80 yrs old, in coveralls, came out to the pumps. I noticed he had a thick New York City accent. He admired the T, and we talked about old Fords for a few minutes. I finished gassing up, and topped off the tank with a 4 oz. baby-jar full of MMO. He said, "Why do you use that stuff?" I replied, I'd been using it(I'm 53 yrs old) for over 30 yrs in all my flathead V-8s, Model As and Ts, good upper cyl lube, etc, etc. He said, "I'll tell you a story: During the Depression, when I was in high school, I worked as a mechanic in a sewing shop in the Garment District in NYC. Those old sewing machines had visible oilers on top, and when it got hot the oil would stink, and the ladies who ran the machines would complain. The owner, whose name was Marvel, (pronounced Mar-VELL) told me to go down a few doors to the candy factory-I think it was a 'LifeSaver' type candy- and get a couple of gallons of Oil of Wintergreen and some food coloring. We mixed it with the 10 wt. sewing machine oil to make it less offensive to the ladies. It became popular with the other shops, and Marvel made more money with that oil, than with the sewing. Whenever anyone asked what was in the oil, Marvel said, 'Don't ask... It's a MYSTERY!' and that's how the name came about!"

You meet the most interesting people when you drive a Model T!

Regards,
Steve DeCosa
Oswego, NY

(end quote)

I read elsewhere that the wintergreen oil in there has special wicking properties and does a great job of seeping into tight places like valve lifters and stuff.

Brad